Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service life of TT clutch

David M

Spa-Francorchamps
I appreciate that there is no real answer and it depends upon so many factors but please can I have your experiences of the service life of a cluch in a 996TT.

Mine has done 35k and with a recent boost upgrade I can slip the clutch under very hard acceleration (although I couldn't this morning but dount it could rectify itself....could it?). Just wondered whether the clutch was on its' way out and should be replaced at 35k if around the service life and if the slippage would be stopped with a new clutch or it would still slip? Dont want to spend to have it repalced only to find no improvement. Also any comments on the flywheel life?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137681

Can't help on this one Dave but am keen to see some answers as mine is now on 25,000 and no doubt will be needing a clutch at some point in the not too distant future

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137701

I can say from experience that if you're slipping the clutch from throttle, it's close to being done. Clutches hate slipping. Flywheels hate it too (and the effects are cumulative) so if you can schedule your R&R soon, you may save this undoubtedly expensive part. It's hard to say if an OEM clutch will pull the motor with added boost as you don't say how much boost. Any idea how much extra HP?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137710

Mines done 43k, has never had a clutch and doesnt feel likely to at any stage soon (crosses fingers)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137713

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by wdonovan on 01 May 2007

Any idea how much extra HP?
Only a further 50bhp and a probably a bit more torque which I assume is the important bit. It has the Revo remap for track days only :wink:

Has slipped on 2 separate occassions. Hard 2/3 gear acceleration up a slight incline. Was fine on the way to work this morning despite trying very hard.

It is booked in next week for a replacement OEM clutch but wanted to make sure that this was the right course of action.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137725

I'd say a fresh disk should handle 50 more than a 35k unit. Anyone out there know of aftermarket disks / plates that are a little grabbier and (most importantly) are not a nightmare to drive?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137875

mines on 50k so far and no slippage (fingers crossed)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142243

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by WILLJ on 15 May 2007

mines on 50k so far and no slippage (fingers crossed)
Well I have tried very hard to make it slip since but failed so I canceled the replacement. I have a hill climb school for a day next week in the car so this should be the ultimate test to see if it slipping.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142259

Can't speak for a TT, but had a problem with my 4S clutch after shunting the car around for a bit then dropping the clutch with a bootful of revs. Revs soared up, car went no-where, horrid burning smell.

But oddly, never happened since, no trace of slip since.

Other owners reported similar incidents, probably a function of loads of traction and power overcoming the clutch springs!

The acid test apparently is to floor the throttle in 3rd at peak torque up hill (dunno what that is for your TT)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142489

The clutch in a 911 is purposely designed as the weak point of the entire transmission. It was designed like this given the high amount of natural rear grip/traction - you will always want the clutch to burn out rather than destroy gears/synchros etc.

I just had my clutch checked at 39k miles in the GT3, and it was only about half worn (original since new). And that includes the 20+ trackdays I've done in the car whilst in my ownership. At the same time, I've heard of others having to replace their clutch after 15-20k miles, so it really is down to driving style.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142503

My C4S clutch was replaced at 22k, I had the car from 7k so I can't vouch for it's early life. I have to say I believed my OPC, a little naivety on my part I think when they replaced the RMS. A £425 clutch, no labour, wasn't too bad considering I put another 30k on her before she was sold.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 142591

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back