Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just bought a 911

Manks

Hi All

Went out today and bought a 911 on the spur of the moment. Its on Auto Trader, the canary yellow one for 9750.00

I have harboured for a long time the desire to buy an old wide body and paint it met green, the same as one I recall from my youth. This will be the car.

It is very tidy inside (better than the snaps) and the body is solid all over.

Mechanically it seems OK, but the seller tells me it needs new heat exchangers soon. When driving the car hard, the exhaust pops - not on the over-run, under acceleration. I am guessing the this may be a zorst problem. It has good oil pressure and no leaks.

The seller seems like a genuine guy and he has had the car eight years. There is a large file of history and service record.

The car I mentioned from my youth was actually a converted 3.0sc with gold BBS alloys. This is a converted 3.0sc with BBS alloys (a set thrown in). Ssssspooky.

Deposit paid and I collect Monday.

Manks

PS I am still in the market for a low miles Turbo in a sensible colour with full history.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134582

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Manks on 21 April 2007

Went out today and bought a 911 on the spur of the moment.
Brilliant! Perfect day for it, congrats.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134584

searchmedia

This one

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134591

Very nice good luck Manks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134593

Thats the one Carl. Its horrible in that colour, but it will end up like this one:

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/9113.3T_1_n.htm

Which some people would say is also horrible, but I have had that car on my mind for twenty years so I have to do it.

The SMART thing to do would be to paint it Guards Red, which would add value I would have thought, and it would also mean my wife would travel in it (she will not ride in a green car). But this is about a dream.

If this car had not been in ouch-my-eyes yellow I don't think I'd have got it so cheap and also I would not have got round to repainting it. But the yellow must go.

Manks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134602

I like that green looks really good with the black trim.

You living that dream tis great . I'm living mine with my black and black leather one, when summer is finished gear box, alarm, paint bumpers etc to be done.

Can't wait to get it mint but need to enjoy first. :D

Regards Carl.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134604

Well done on your car what you do not want now is a nice turbo to come up .Just after you have gone and bought this one.

SEE YA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134609

SEEYA

I am probably going to buy a Turbo as well, but it will need to be a blooming good one.

Have you seen the white one on Ebay for 24k?

Manks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134614

TBH I think it looks better in yellow.

Theres a guy lives around the corner from me who has aguards red 3.2 and ayellow 930, he drives the 3.2 every day and the 930 is usually in his garage but it is stunning

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134616

Hows the new car Manks, long time no word you too busy driving it? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 136976

I had Adrian from AMB Porsche look over the car on Friday. He is a fussy ***** it seems and he gave me a sheet of A4 of faults. But most of these were trivial such as "sun roof seal slightly crooked" "sidelight bulb blown" and "bonnet struts too weak".

The things that NEED doing are the heat exchangers and an oil pipe has a kink in it.

There is also this odd and very loud "crackle" coming from the exhaust / right bank of cylinders when the revs hit 4k. Adrian isn't sure what it is, but with the heat exchangers knacked its hard to tell much.

Corrosion-wise the car is pretty good it appears. There is a bit of course, but nothing structural it seems.

So providing the heat exchanger / air pump work sorts out the odd noise we should be in business. I am driving the car as-is, but its a bit antisocial when I boot it.

I am waiting for an estimate for the work, and I am guessing that I will not see change from £1500 because I need exchangers, heater valves plus some other bits. I get the impression that Adrian isn't cheap, but he seems to know what he is talking about. A fringe benefit is that he lives only half a mile from me so he can collect and drop off the car.

I have driven it a fair bit, and I like it. It drives and handles well and it gets a lot of attention - I have been asked about it a lot.

I really do like the feel of the car and it makes me even more sure that I want to find a really good low-mileage 930. I will use the yellow one as my mess-about and have the other for Sunday best.

Manks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 136995

Glad you are enjoying the car, sorry to hear about the £1500 costs to put the car right. 911's always cost big money to repair, labour costs thats the killer. Well worth it though.

Keep us posted on progress.

Carl.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137817

Well done mate...

Any day is a good day to buy a 911 !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137818

Just a thought but if you need to replace the heat exchangers it may be worth reading the article in 911 & Porsche World about Hayward and Scott. If I remember correctly, they have a pattern for replacing the exhause and exchangers in s/s.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137827

Carl

Well I bought the car knowing it needed some mechanical work. But then I paid well under £10k for a wide body 911 with a genuine £100k miles and very little rust, so I cannot complain. It also has a very good interior which is important because...

The car fits in with my plan to buy a wide body and paint it green. That will be the expensive part - I have been quoted £5k by four garages now. Thats about £1.5k more than I thought. But for that I get a windows out paint job and the car should look new.

I was never going to pay £20k for a perfect 911 Turbo and spend £5k on green paintwork, which would probably knock £3k off its value immedialy!

The BBS wheels I wanted came with the car. Though I will upgrade to a set of BBS split rims when I see some. I missed a set from the US last month and they went for a song too.

Manks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 137859

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back