Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 wheels - definitive answer?

JasonD

Hi, just joined this forum and my first question which has been puzzling me for a while is: What size wheels can you comfortably fit to this car?
I have downloaded the excellent piece by Adrian Streather but I am finding that most suppliers are now only stocking 18" wheels, not sure if these would suit the car and a bit worried about the suspension etc.
I am quite keen on a set of black le mans wheels but again these seem to be only available in 18", how will the larger wheels affect ride, handling etc
My car is a carrera 2 which is a K plate but was actually built in 1991 so still has 16" design 90 wheels fitted.
Any advice from would be greatly appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132789

I would say keep them in the 16" to 17" range, with 17" as a max !

even though the majority of suppliers stock the 18"+ there is still a market for 17" and 16's

worth looking at 17's if you want larger wheels but IMHO the modern trend is something else and our cars are more suited to the OEM specs

what do the le mans wheels look like ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132796

17in cup 2s look the best on a 964 and offer a good ride handling compromise

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132804

I like the cup 2's but can't seem to find a new set anywhere, thanks for confirming the size issue. I was looking for a slightly larger wheel but also fancy a black wheel to match the car hence the le mans, I'd still keep the 90's to put back on the car if I ever sell it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132812

18" have never been approved for the 964 because they put to much stress on all the suspension parts etc. I would stick to 17's. Saying that there are people who put 18's on their 964s but i would stay clear.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132925

Thanks for all the advice, managed to pick up a secondhand set of 17" cup1's from porsch-apart, always been very happy with parts from them and it was a coincidence they had a set just in with almost new tyres.
I'll give these a go, keep the originals just in case. I did manage to find a few new sets but the price was riduculous as they seem to be in short supply: £1200 with tyres, I was also quoted a set of turbo 3's(18's) with tyres for the same price.
Anyway, due in on Thursday.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133633

Jason, tyres alone would have been £4-600 depending on the spec, and again a mint set of cup 1's would have been about as much from trade...

did you have a peak on ebay, can sometimes work !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133637

Hi, been looking on ebay for a while, the offsets are normally wrong for the 964, I was tempted to keep with the 16's and pop on some spacers but I thought I would give the 17's a go as they seem to suit the car better. I did speak to Dick Lovetts about a set but they quoted almost a £1000 per wheel, initially I thought that was for a set of four and I had my card ready only to be told the awful truth.
They do seem hard to find, and as for cup 2's these are impossible.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133639

Jason

I know what you mean, wheel sets seem to be a baragin till you want one yourself when suddenly everything costs a fortune ! sods law I do know !

all those 968 offsets and replicas out there dont help !

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133648

Thanks for all the advice, wheels arrived from porshapart (they never let me down, always top quality) fitted on the car, all wheel nuts torqued, what a difference, drives better and looks better.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135161

Jason.

If you want to swap your Cup 1s for some Cup 2s I would be interested as I have a spare set of Cup 2s and would like a spare set of Cup 1s if you see what I mean.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135470

Thanks for the offer Ian, I'm really pleased with these wheels.
Regards
Jason

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135607

Had thought you were looking for Cup 2s as a preference hence the offer as mine are not being used. Glad you like your Cup 1s as they suit the 964 well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135714

Thanks, I was initially but your never really sure until you fit them to your car. Thanks for the offer though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 135723

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back