Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 advice perspective please!

alan sweeney

Montreal
Hi,

My brother has got it in his head that he quite fancies a 3. All well and good you may say but here is the thing, he has never driven anything faster than a tricycle :wink:

His car history ranges from Mk 2 Astra, Vectra, Calibre and Cavalier. He originally liked the Jaguar XKR. On Thursday I arranged for him to experience the Porsche Marque.

He had a good blast in a 997 C2. We attempted to get a test drive in an XKR but Jag were a little short in their sales department compared to Porsche so this did not happen.

Somewhere a long the way having seen the magnificent 997 3 in Cardiff OPC and looking at the 3 specs he feels this may be a good starting point.

I have tried to state that really this is a lot of car for an inexperienced individual. I have suggested he gets a 996 C2S and build up from there.

Am I insane or do you guys reckon he has a point.

Cheers Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130865

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by alan sweeney on 07 April 2007
Hi,
My brother has got it in his head that he quite fancies a 3. All well and good you may say but here is the thing, he has never driven anything faster than a tricycle :wink:
His car history ranges from Mk 2 Astra, Vectra, Calibre and Cavalier. He originally liked the Jaguar XKR. On Thursday I arranged for him to experience the Porsche Marque.
He had a good blast in a 997 C2. We attempted to get a test drive in an XKR but Jag were a little short in their sales department compared to Porsche so this did not happen.
Somewhere a long the way having seen the magnificent 997 3 in Cardiff OPC and looking at the 3 specs he feels this may be a good starting point.
I have tried to state that really this is a lot of car for an inexperienced individual. I have suggested he gets a 996 C2S and build up from there.
Am I insane or do you guys reckon he has a point.
Cheers Alan.

You could always buy it off him later :wink:

What does he currently drive?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130866

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by alan sweeney on 07 April 2007

His car history ranges from Mk 2 Astra, Vectra, Calibre and Cavalier.
then he'll be fine with a wild overpowered car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130869

Ok, I will hear the laughs across Britain :wink:

Vauxhall Vectra a staggering 1.6 not even been modded in any shape or form.

Not dissing Vauxhall, had a couple of Astra's myself, but the leap is too much. I am still getting to grips with my C4S and having experienced Daz in his 3 the car is awesome but you need to have experience to enjoy her to the max me thinks.

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130870

My 1st true performance car was my GT3, so there is no reason why he couldn't do it. I think it's more down to him as an individual as to whether it's a sensible choice. If he's a hooligan in a Vectra he may have a few issues in the GT3. To be honest even a C2S is one heck of a leap from a Vectra. I don;t really see any more problem going to a GT3 than a C2S.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130875

As Rob says there is little performace difference between a C2 and GT3 when driven by an average Joe particularly on the road. Even on track.

As far as i can tell it's a 997GT3 we're talking about here? If so then it's the most accomplished all round GT3 yet, by all accounts, and is a better road car than before. I really like to use my 3 on the road but there are some surfaces which definately slow you down due to the car's movement - great entertainment though.

GT3s deliver thrills which a C2 cannot, even when driven at 70%, and i'm not talking about speed - noise, feedback, responsiveness, snug race seat etc. it's just a better 'experience'.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130877

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back