Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bodywork worry

Dave Barker

Hi all

Have owned my 1991 C2 for 6 months now and loved every second of it.The car runs superbly and the bodywork appears to be excellent for a car of this age with only a few marks on the paintwork. Today I was on my hands and knees looking up into the rear nearside wheel arch towards the rear wheel, and to my horror found a considerable amount of rust and a small hole in what appears to be part of the underside bodywork which starts under what seems to be a rubber sealing strip under the chassis rail and goes under the car in front of what I think is the catalyst. This is not part of the chassis which is in excellent condition but does seem to be an integal part of the car. The rest of the car is immaculate with no hint of rust anywhere. There is no evidence of accident damage, and I understand these cars are galvanised from new. Hope I have explained clearly enough, but his has got me into a panic now. Please could anyone reassure me that this is not cause for grave concern (or otherwise) or indeed an mot failure. Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130496

1st thing I would do is get some of that rust remedy stuff on it to prevent it from spreading. So far as MOT goes shouldnt be an issue as it doesnt cause a "potential" injury to pedestrians and its not structural.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130510

Sorry as a 964 owner I just can't visualise what bit you mean. Any chance of posting a picture?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130614

Hi all

Panic over!!! After further investigation it turns out that this corrosion is actually on a steel plate type shield that goes under the front of the engine and just bolts in place, therefore is not part of the body work at all!!! Feel
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/DSCF3732.JPG
ling a bit of a twit now!!! But gave me quite a panic when viewed from under the wheel arch to see this mass of corrosion and rust holes. Photo is looking under the nearside rear wheel arch looking towards the front of the car. Thanks for your replies will just get on enjoying driving instead of looking for trouble!!

Cheers Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130923

It's part of the famous tinware that surrounds the engine and, as you say, is essentially a heat shield.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131105

Ah it's the engine tinware. Seems to be very common for this to rust. You need your engine to leak a bit of oil to protect it :)

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131291

Hi Dave, I have exactly the same problem, its very frustrating although quite inexpensive to have sorted out.
Regards
Jason

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132788

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back