Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road Noise on C4S

Ron White

I am new to Porsche ownership and am finding the road noise from my 2002 C4S, which was purchased direct from Porsche to be more than I bargained for. The mileage is only 20,000 and it has been inspected by RAC prior to purchase. Even so, the noise is such that it is not worthwhile having the stereo on at any speed above 50 and after a long drive my ears are ringing. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it normal? Are my Pirreli tyres the culprit or is it the 4WD? Help please!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127648

sounds very odd,

I owned my C4S for 14 months, and did way above 150mph on several occasions, and at that speed yes road noise bad, otherwise not,

what car you come from

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127649

Tyres are the culprit! What Pirellis have you got? Also when the tyres get more worn they start to make more noise. 4WD shouldn't cause any additional noise, although knackered wheel bearings might (they cause a drone)

BTW, have you got a PSE fitted?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127651

Tyres are P Zero Assimetrico. and PS3 is fitted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127654

Previous car was Mercedes CLK 2.7 cdi. Had that for a year. Cars before that were Jaguar XJ8's. They all miles better than the Porsche for ride comfort, noise, - although not sprts cars they do better than most

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127656

Compared to an XJ, a C4S will have significantly more tyre noise and you will feel the bumps in the road.
There is less isolation between the car and the suspension, which is why you have more noise. It comes as the penalty for better road holding.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127674

My 997 generates loads more road noise and tyre roar than any other car ive ever owned-but im used to it now.It alarmed me at first.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127701

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nigey boy on 25 March 2007

Will

Are you in Lytham ?
Yes I am.Just worked out who you are.Hi Nige.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127715

Hi,

Has to be some issue as not got any major road noise with my C4S. My run around is a Toyota Yaris so getting into the beast is an completely different experience.

Only maxed to around 130mph so far and just an awesome engine sound.

Ride is firm and not to everybody tastes but love it. Been in BMW's and Jags and particularly in Jags the ride is softer but the handeling is reduced.

Regards Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128020

I am currently commuting 160 miles a day in mine. Can't say I've found the road noise alot worse than previous sport spec BMWs.

Maybe the tyres are on the way out- how much tread left

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128160

Do you have the sport exhaust. If not get one fitted - it will divert your attention from the road noise.

I have not really noticed too much of a noise with my TT even at some fairly high speeds.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128163

Very hard to say Ron, part of your problem is coming from a lovely quiet Merc.

Some people may think the Porsche's road noise is acceptable, others may not. It's all personal.

And it all depends on the crappy road surfaces too. My 993 on most motorways is deafening and horrible and I can't wait to get off it.

Try to have a go in someone else's car with different tyres to yours before forking out for a new set.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128176

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back