Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

total garbage

Think you'll find extended warranty is a massive profit centre for Porsche... Lets assume that 5% of all engines have to be replaced (I'm told the real percentage is just over half that) at a cost to Porsche of say £5,000 each (which it is almost certainly not for anything other than turbos and GTs) - that works out at about £250 per car. Add on the odd MAF, coil pack, radiator, etc and I wouldn't mind betting the average cost per car is less than £500 - so another £400+ profit shared between Porsche Ag, Porsche GB, the Insurance underwriters, and OPC.

I would also be very surprised if anyone from within Porsche will ever refute this either, because in doing so they would have to admit to fairly serious levels of unreliability - £750+ per car per annum warranty costs would put Porsche very close to the top of the list of the most unreliable cars on the planet!

It is an Insurance - nothing more, nothing less and you decide whether the peace of mind is worth the premium (but bear in mind my £500,000 property, my business, and my £10m public liability Insurance premiums combined are considerably less expensive!)

I didn't renew mine because I didn't get a reminder from the dealer (unlike each of the previous 5 years) and needed a 111-point check... Guess what, there was a suspected RMS leak which I would have to fix at my own expense first!!! Funny that, as, unbeknown by them, a new RMS had been fitted by another OPC just 4 months earlier - before the warranty expired! :roll:

I love my car (when it's working) but I am amazed how much loyalty Porsche still have as a company - especially when they quite unashamedly announce average profit per unit of €21,000 - almost 10 times the global average for other car manufacturers!!!! And they still don't do the decent thing when it comes to engine failures and warranties - shocking!

IMO Warranties should be underwritten directly by the manufacturer and sold at cost - the long term goodwill benefits would more than offset the profit loss, and would be a massive incentive to improve build quality and reliability.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125199

I keep reading these threads and vacillating. I bought my 2001 996 pre facelift C2 last June from an indie with a great reputation and it came with their own warranty. When that runs out this June, provided I have the car serviced by them, I can renew it for (I think) £575. It expressly excludes oil leaks (read RMS) and clutches but appears to cover pretty much everything else.

So - do I just stay with it - or pay my local OPC (with a less than glowing rep on this and other forums) for the 111 point check, get everything they find fixed at OPC labour charges and then pay £850 for what may or may not be better than what I have already? It all seems to depend on how bullish I'm feeling on the day. In general, I hate Insurance and insurers because I know their job is to take money off me and to fight like hell not to give any back. My main concern is not so much RMS as the other more major known 996 failures such as intermediate shaft and the ovalisation of the Lokasil cylinder liners (see the Hartech website) which could result in much bigger bills.

So far, my reasoning keeps returning me to the position that the indie that sold me the car is such a great outfit with such clearly decent and enthusiastic people, as well as the aforementioned fine reputation, I'll stay with them and hope they'll behave in an honourable way should the worst happen.

But I do keep wondering.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125763

Have just renewed mine today, worth the peace of mind. The warranty I had from autobahn, didn't cover the big claims and that is what I was concerned about. That said, autobahn fixed all the problems that the OPC raised in the 111 point check with no quibles.

All depends on your attitude to risk. My warranty was well worth it last year.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125771

hi so poo my reason for taking out the extra warranty was that all makes of cars have there own inherant faults as most cars are built to a price,and being a regular performance car buyer and working in the motor vehicle salvage industry i do lots of reading before i buy a paticular marque.

I did this before buying my 996 by reading this and other porsche forums and the people who made the most sense and were well informed nearly all to a man recomended the warranty from opc or well respected independant which is what i did.

I dont expect porsche ownership to be cheap and i expect things to go every now and then and when they do at least if its covered by the warranty opc will pay if its not then i pay i cannot believe a few peoples beliefs that if they buy a 50k car then nothing should go wrong when usually the opposite is the case i have come from an sl55 to my 996 and that was in mercedes every other week for something or other so as soon as the warranty was up i got rid.pete

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125842

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back