Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spark Plugs

Mark911

I'm having a minor service done on my '02 996 next week at an OPC. It's total mileage is only 15,500 (3,000 since last service) but they say it also requires new spark plugs as it's over 4 years old. But surley if they are normally only changed at 48,000 miles they should be OK :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124922

My car has probably only done about 3000 miles since its last major service so guess how I feel ....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124924

If you are worried about invalidating the extended warranty, I believe I am right in saying that a manufacturer (or insurer in the case of extended warranty) can only refuse to pay a claim if they believe owner negligence has contributed to the fault occuring.

I would be very surprised if any failure that is covered under warranty could be caused directly by a defective spark plug anyway, and spark plugs generally only deteriorate through overuse (i.e. too many miles) or corrosion (and if you have corrosion in your cylinder chambers a faulty spark plug is the least of your problems!!!)

Spark plug changes are not part of the service schedule, although they generally are due for a change at the same time as an annual or mileage service.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124968

What does the service schedule in the manual say?

If you us V-power or BP 97 octane they will be clean anyway - and at the correct gap if they are supposed to go 48k miles..

Cost of labour and plugs is??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 124970

I'd get them changed, it's a fixed price OPC charge now. If you are handy change them yourself.

At 4 years I'd get the polyrib belt changed for peace of mind.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125016

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 15 March 2007

What does the service schedule in the manual say?If you us V-power or BP 97 octane they will be clean anyway - and at the correct gap if they are supposed to go 48k miles..Cost of labour and plugs is??
The fixed charge is £167 but with experience I know that some jobs can have a knock-on to further expense.

I had the plugs changed at around 20,000 miles on my 993, but the final bill nudged £500 because they could not remove one plug and it then it required a new rocker cover etc etc...... and the only improvement to the car's performance was down to carrying a lighter wallet !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125088

wow that was a bad service on the 993 Mark.

I can fully understand why you feel like that. Are you going to try a different dealer this time and explain your concerns before the work is done to the Service Manager?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125096

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back