Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sorry, but more tyre questions!

Paul Cheetham

I have a lowered 946 with 17" wheels and need to change the tyres. On at present are 255\40 rear and 215\45 front.My questions are, do 215 fronts do any harm or should i put 205 on?. Does the profile make any differance to the speedo reading and if so how much?.

thanks Paul.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122069

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 05 March 2007

What is a 946?
Probably the result of an extra glass! :wink:

Paul, presuming you've got 17" cup 1 or 2 wheels, you're tyres on the back are the standard size. The standard size for the front are 205/50. Some people put 215 or 225 width (mine has these) on the front. I believe the wider tyres are recommended for track work but will understeer a little more than the standard 205 width.

Also remember that wider tyres on a lowered car could lead to wheel arch rubbing. Personally, I'll be putting 205s on when mine are ready for replacement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122233

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Boxsey on 05 March 2007
... The standard size for the front are 205/50. Some people put 215 or 225 width (mine has these) on the front. I believe the wider tyres are recommended for track work but will understeer a little more than the standard 205 width.
Wider front tires are fitted in an attempt to reduce understeer so the car will understeer less not more.

Downsides of a wider front tire than standard are possible rubbing issues and slightly more wear of suspension components such as wheel bearings, rubber bushes, etc. The increased wear is probably minor on a road car (although if you do a lot of miles maybe not). Rubbing is the main issue.

Personally like standard tire sizes for road cars.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122310

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 05 March 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Boxsey on 05 March 2007

... The standard size for the front are 205/50. Some people put 215 or 225 width (mine has these) on the front. I believe the wider tyres are recommended for track work but will understeer a little more than the standard 205 width.
Wider front tires are fitted in an attempt to reduce understeer so the car will understeer less not more.Downsides of a wider front tire than standard are possible rubbing issues and slightly more wear of suspension components such as wheel bearings, rubber bushes, etc. The increased wear is probably minor on a road car (although if you do a lot of miles maybe not). Rubbing is the main issue.Personally like standard tire sizes for road cars.Ian.
Oops! Yes, thanks Ian, got my understeer and oversteer the wrong way round again :oops:
. Note to self: remember that more grip equals less understeer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122375

Sorry about the 946 !, it was quite late.Thanks for the tips i think i will go back to 205 on the fronts. I realise everyone has there their own driving conditions but which tyres seem to be best suited to the 964, its the first time to change for me so i am looking for a set that will give me good general wear and grip when mostly used in the dry. It's not an every day driver so i can pick days.

thanks

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122417

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back