Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clutch on the way out!

Jays964

Silverstone
Just wondered if anyone had changed their clutch to the RS Flywheel & Clutch? Mine now needs changing and with a DMF and clutch, its about the same cost as the full RS kit.

Any suggestions on suppliers for this? I only want the part not fitting.

Cheers guys

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121458

I have just ordered the RS lwf/clutch kit, hoping to get if fitted in the next couple of weeks. I have found that it may actually be cheaper to buy if from the states. It cost $1450 including shipping. That works out about £740 or so.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121547

From Design 911 its going to be £903 including VAT for the full kit, compared to about £810 for the standard item.

Where are you getting it from in the States?

Cheers,
Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121549

Speak to a guy called Viper Bob over on the rennlist forums, a very nice bloke who runs his own place in california I think. Remember that you will need to pay import tax on the price of the package, but he can sort something out for that :wink:

Im hoping that customs will only charge about £60 or so, and if thats the case then I stand to save about £100 if I bought the same item over here!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121551

Definitely worth doing, but be aware you may have stalling issues (esp if you have aircon) and it does make the car difficult to drive in heavy traffic. In time you learn to drive round the issues. There are one or two things that can be done to reduce the problem - post again if you find it unbearable.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121590

Some people have problems with stalling and others don't. My car doesn't have aircon so Im hoping it won't be so much of an issue. What else can be done? Will a live ecu remap help in any way?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121602

Live remap can certainly help, but he thing that really sorts it (and I don't understand why there seems to be such a problem in the first place) is to tweak up the rpm level at which fuel cuts back in when the revs are falling. Roughly speaking the factory level is something like 600 rpm, but when you have the LWF the fuel may well cut in at 600rpm, but by the time the fuel has got through to the cylinders the engine has already stalled. If you tweak the level up to 800 rpm or so then it will catch it before the engine stalls. This is not the same as simply increasing the idle level up to 1000rpm, so don't be fobbed off by anyone telling you that is the way to cure the problem. If in doubt talk to JZ Machtech who know how to do this properly.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121619

I'v also heard that if you run one pulley for the fan and alternator then you can avoid the problems aswell - but this has to be done properly with the right size pulleys otherwise you can run the fan/alternator at the wrong speeds.

I'm pretty sure this frees up a few bhp too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121800

Yes, single pulley operation is possible (ie. standard RS set up) and might release a pony or two, but it's not cheap to do for some reason, and to be honest I've not heard it suggested as a solution to the stalling issue, and clearly won't work if you have aircon.

Put very simply the software in the C2 / C4 ECU is not calibrated to function with the lightweight flywheel and there's not a great deal that you can do to sort out that situation. I would have though that any successful solution would at the very least need to deal with the fueling / idling issue, rather than something mechanical like changing the pulley. At best any solution is just trying to fool the ECU to work with the LWF.

This is not designed to put anyone off, but just do be aware that it can make the car difficult to live with. I was lucky and had relatively little trouble, but I know of others who have had a nightmare and eventually given up and returned to the DMF.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122268

Well, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it fitted!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122270

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back