Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke From My Exhaust - HELP please

rudegoode

Trainee
Hi All,

I had my car serviced a Charles Ivy (for my sins) back in November and since then I have been having an occasional cloud of smoke coming from my exhuast and need some advice as to what the hell might be causing it.

Sometimes (very rarley actually) when i start my car a huge cloud of smoke comes out the pipes - very smelly and embarrising. Its has happened on only a handful of times, but never before i took it in to that particular service.

Does anyone know what might be the cause, and even better the solution?

(Amusing incidnet on Saturday as i pulled out of an M&S car park and proceeded to cover a chap in a convertible 360 in a cloud of smoke - he had his rof down posing and everyone watching was crying with laughter).

Look forward to your help guys.

Cheers,

Dan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121158

As long as the smoke is white on startup, it's quite a common happening due to the nature of the Flat 6. It's a sign that the engine was very hot at the time you switched off, and the thin/hot oil (which was probably topped up at the service) is running along the valve guides which then burns off the next time you start up the engine. This is more frequent especially if you park on an incline. I would check to see that Charles Ivey didn't overfill your oil for good measure.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121159

Thanks mate, thats kind of what i thought.

It is white and does disapear quickly and doesnt happen often but its bloody embarrising and you know what its like, anything not quite right and the panic buttons kick in.

Funny to see the dude in the Frazzle completley engulfed in smoke though. It certainly wiped the smug look off his face!

Thanks again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121161

Surely if slightly overfilling with oil causes no damage to the car but can cover Fezza drivers in a lovely white oily cloud then we should all be reaching for the Mobil :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121168

Overfilling with oil can ***** your filter and sensors! Should check to see if the oil is overfilled... but Rudegoode is in London, so I am guessing that the car was sitting in traffic/running hot (oil expanded) before the engine was turned off...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121173

Joking aside surely someone like Charles Ivey should not overfill a car? :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121187

Thats what i would have thought - i'll check it tonight or tomorrow am.

It will be back to Chelsea Carerra next time.

I was in London to be fair - on the Kings Road no less, looking like a right monkey posing with the top down in my 911 with bloody clouds of smoke pouring out the back. I couldn't find a side street fast enough i can tell you :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121189

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by rudegoode on 28 February 2007

I was in London to be fair - on the Kings Road no less, looking like a right monkey posing with the top down in my 911 with bloody clouds of smoke pouring out the back. I couldn't find a side street fast enough i can tell you :oops:
Next time just pretend it's the Jame Bond Smoke button, so you can get away from the bad guys! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121192

Ha Ha - all the more apt as my car is absoluley identical to yours mate so i am sure you can relate to the whole posing thing.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121201

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back