Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New member and MPG question

Its too dependant upon driving style, ie right foot pressure and late braking to give an answer that fits all.
If you potter about and stick to a maximum of 80 to 90 in europe you will get high 20's - if not you will get low 20's.
I did 4500 miles on my last two big trips (Calais to Italy and back via the south of France and Lemans) - at 27 to the gallon thats 167 gallons = £668 and at 23 to the gallon thats £784. The difference is £116.
Petrol for my last years Lemans trip was £170 in my Audi A3 at 32 to the gallon. (split between 3 of us = £57 each)
Bottom line is that although varying mpg may seem to make a big change in fuel costs - it doesn't - if you can afford to go you do - and you don't spend the entire trip checking how much fuel you are using or pusseyfooting arround - if you do then I'm sorry but you bought the wrong car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121556

So far, driving my 996C4S whilst 'normally' commuting, I'm getting between 29.5 and 30.4 mpg.

I agree though, if one wants economy, buy a diesel, but I think its good to know that it can do it if you want- it is also a sign to me of an efficient, well designed engine. And it removes ammo from the greens!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121557

In my old 996 Targa I rarely saw it out of the teen's. 15 - 16 mpg was the norm although 24ish could be achieved on a motorway run. The turbo is not much different 16.6mpg over the 4000 miles I have had it. Like the C4S it also has a smaller tank and I am now on first names with all the cashiers at the local Shell garage. Typical range shown after filling up is between 165 - 200 miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121564

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 02 March 2007

So far, driving my 996C4S whilst 'normally' commuting, I'm getting between 29.5 and 30.4 mpg.

I agree though, if one wants economy, buy a diesel, but I think its good to know that it can do it if you want- it is also a sign to me of an efficient, well designed engine. And it removes ammo from the greens!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121730

Are those figures of the computer or are they your own calculations, I have never seen above 25 out of my 4S. You have me worried.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121732

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Steve Wright on 02 March 2007

Are those figures of the computer or are they your own calculations, I have never seen above 25 out of my 4S. You have me worried.
Get over 30 out of mine regularly on motorway runs. Overall average is 26ish.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121736

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/fuel-cons.JPG

Not a C4S, but a 3.4 C4 - note the average speed though... Would be better still at legal speeds in the UK (which of course this trip wasn't... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121758

Thanks for all your replies picked it up on Wed and have loved every day so far. Not quite as much grunt as the M5 from the off but much more responsive and you don't feel like your hauling 2 tonnes of metal round the corners :).

My only comment on MPG was that like one of the other posters I was getting funny looks at my local garage filling up everyday. Quite happy to pay for the fuel but I use this as my commuting car and it is just frustrating filling up everyday.

ps. Averaged 18mpg so far but I guess this is because I'm enjoying it :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121787

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jonathan Wall on 03 March 2007

Thanks for all your replies picked it up on Wed and have loved every day so far. Not quite as much grunt as the M5 from the off but much more responsive and you don't feel like your hauling 2 tonnes of metal round the corners :).My only comment on MPG was that like one of the other posters I was getting funny looks at my local garage filling up everyday. Quite happy to pay for the fuel but I use this as my commuting car and it is just frustrating filling up everyday.ps. Averaged 18mpg so far but I guess this is because I'm enjoying it :)
Some of us just enjoy it more SMOOTHLY than others :twisted: :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121792

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back