Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

24hr 997 test drive

Mike993

I had my 997 test drive today, a 997 C2S, so I thought I'd express my opinions. Not sure how many, but I do remember a few others have had invites for this too, so your opinions can be added also if you like.

As a 993 owner, I'm afraid I admit to this 'I have the best ever 911' attitude, and I know many other 993 owners feel the same, its only a pride thing and I'm sure all 911 owners of all denominations probably feel the same with their P&J. So It was a foregone conclusion that I wouldn't like this 997, or so I thought. I think I was determined to hate it, muttering cliches like: water cooled instead of air, no character/passion, too many driver aids, mass produced assembly line M3 with a different bodyshell, and similar insults.

Unfortunately, I loved it (damn :roll: ). Absolutely fantastic car, and very clearly a decade ahead of the 993 (well it would be, wouldn't it). As a driving experience I couldn't believe how easy it was, and the way that it made you feel confident of the handling and power very quickly. Enjoyed the 'sport' button, it seems to come alive from sleeping when pressed (suspension stiffens and accelerator pedal feels more alive). Very comfortable cockpit, a bit roomier than my 993, fabulous acceleration and brakes, very comfortable at well over the speed limit (that'll be 71 mph officer :wink: ) bose sound, sports exhaust was nice although was a bit of a 'fart in a tin can' kind of noise :)
, but overall, an awesome car.

In retrospect, I think i'd probably enjoy it for about 6 months, and would then maybe grow tired of it, so even though the 993 isn't as modern and faultless, I like the quirkiness and fragility, and the overall soul of the 993 long term I suppose (much less depreciation too). If I could afford 75k for a car I would be seriously tempted.

It is a great car though. Managed to get the C4S for 24 hours next week too for comparison. Lucky me :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119471

is this 24hr test drive thing available by simply asking a dealer?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119487

by invitation From Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119492

Then how come he gets two test drives and I haven't got a single measly one?

Even when I enquired a couple of weeks ago about possibly buying a 997 I didn't hear from them again.

I think OPC Reading is the most rubbish PC. Always got a poxy selection of used car stock, and despite me living about 20 mins away and dropping by quite frequently, I hear more from OPC Solihull! ...not that I'm bitter :evil:

Anyway, sorry, great review Mike! Felt much the same when I had a go in a 996 C4S last week vs my 993. Did it almost to rule it out, but ended up buying one!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119496

they can't just be selecting names using a pin in a phone book - so, any tips to getting on 'the list' - for example Nic, what did u do?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119533

I think the promotion finished some time ago (as far as sending out invites), as I had to cancel mine and couldn't reschedule as "all the slots were now fully booked".

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119538

Hi,

Yep the invite thing finished last month at My OPC. However got a test drive on the new Cayenne and 997 TT in March a couple of hours each.

Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119741

I was supposed to have a C4S for my 24 hour test. However, the day of collection happened to co-incide with the new Cayenne launch, and in the process of shuffling around the cars to create a visiting customer parking area, the C4S became well buried in the back of the compound. With the prospect of having to move at least 10 vehicles to get it out, I was offered the C2S imediately instead, and additionally the C4S next week, so I wasn't gonna say no was I?

What worries me is that as I liked the C2S so much, if the C4S is even better, I might be tempted to put a deposit down... 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119765

i must be the only person that got invited for a 24 test drive, decided to buy a new one the week before test drive due and cancelled the test drive so not to spoil the delivery experience!

obviously anyone that wants to is able to take a 997 out for a test drive, not for 24 hours though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119782

I wonder if you asked really nicely whether they'd let you have one for 24hrs.

I was offered a Maserati 3200 for a whole weekend a while back, but I guess they were a bit more desperate for sales...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119895

after i had purchased a new Cayenne from OPC i managed to blag a Cayenne demonstrator for four days for a lads weekend before delivery of mine. i also blagged 2 days in a 997 C4S as well.

i think they key was that i am an existing new car customer and therefore likely to buy new again as i just have. i would imagine they would throw the kitchen sink at me from now on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119899

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 23 February 2007

I wonder if you asked really nicely whether they'd let you have one for 24hrs.

I was offered a Maserati 3200 for a whole weekend a while back, but I guess they were a bit more desperate for sales...
Probably have to ask really nicely. Only place that would consider it in the past was Mercedes. I spoke to them several times about different vehicles, and they always offered the possibility of having the car for the weekend provided they had enough notice. But then when I did buy new from them, I'd walked in off the street 2 days before Christmas & 10 mins later had given them a cheque for a cancelled order they'd got a day previous. So guess they liked me & knew I was serious.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119907

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back