Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

test drove a 996 C4S today...

You have to go for it with Insurance ike that! You will not regret it.

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117504

For what its worth, I have had a 996 C4 for a year now and when I bought it the rears were on there last legs. I then found it very easy to get the back end out even in a straight line, when in the wert. The tyres replaced (Conti 2's) and now the car is like glue. In the wet it is so planted and secure that the car now has far more grip than this driver can shake off. I can't even get the car to make the tyres grumble if I lift off through fast bends.............All I can think is that if my C4 is that good......then with the extra width and tyre size, then the C4S can only be better!

Enjoy it, the C4S is my next choice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117599

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 13 February 2007

So I went for a diesel burner as a daily driver and a GT3 as a toy / hack / whenever I don't need to be sensible :D
As others have posted - when the weather's bad or you just want to 'dress down' it's useful having something that no one looks at :)
Philip
Oh no. Common sense. And just when I was booking Toy in for a major + pre-sale inspection with the offer to use a car I am interested in for a couple of days. And I'm still dithering over the E93.

Trouble is your right and I'd have to seriously think about keeping a "new" Porsche out of sight. Difficult considering my office and parking faces on to one of the busiest roads in the area.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117637

Deeply dissapointed in you RobertB

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117638

Not a done deal yet Warren!

I drove the 993 up to the office this morning, and I started to wonder what I was thinking. But I still can't get the sound of the PSE out of my head...

Re sensible daily cars, my view is this- I spend a lot of time driving to and from work, and I might as well look forward to it! Otherwise, a 3hr round trip would start to eat at morale. I'm lucky in as much as we have a big private office car park, and I don't often have to drive to see clients.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117648

Thing is (and IMHO), the C4S is probably the best looking of all the 996's and, maybe, the best everyday car.

Cab would be another choice but more costly. Targa is probably the best compromise and more practical as it has the hatch (but reduced headroom with the blind drawn) and I like the colour contrast between the glass and some colours.

Targa tip would probably be a great commuter car.

GT3 for the hedonist. SY for the shy ones amongst us.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117653

I went from 993 to C4S and never looked back. Apart from a brief moment when I suggested to Mrs Hendo that a GT3 would be a good idea, but like you lot no doubt, she said it would be wasted on me (being a track day woooss)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117690

What are the things you really like about the C4S (or anyone else with a standard C2/4) vs the 993, and what are the things, if anything, that you miss about the 993...?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117697

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 15 February 2007

What are the things you really like about the C4S (or anyone else with a standard C2/4) vs the 993, and what are the things, if anything, that you miss about the 993...?
if you change get those rose tinted spec's

as a more all round option the C4S is a no brainer, although there have been a few things lost in the translation

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117731

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 15 February 2007

Deeply dissapointed in you RobertB
Think you and I had better save our last bullets for each other! :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117820

Had a 993 C4 as a daily driver for 4 years (54,000 miles) and now a 996 C4 for 2 years (and 36,000 miles).

Better:

• Interior - massively better! Sat Nav, proper electronics in all the right places, air-con that works, more space, pedals in the right places, one-shot windows and roof with global closing/opening
  • Exterior - Xenons (160+ mph visibility!)
  • Safety - PSM, side airbags
  • Performance - feels a tiny bit quicker (I think)
Worse:

• That shape... Even a GT3 aerokit doesn't quite make up for the 993 curves!
  • Too quiet (but PSE goes a long way to fix that)
  • Feels just a tiny bit bigger on the road (not heavier - cos it's lighter - just bigger!)
  • Not as exclusive
  • More to go wrong (radiators, MAF, RMS, coil packs, etc...)
  • Depreciation!!! (I bought at the wrong time and from the wrong place I think!) If you are financing it, pay the most deposit, and get the lowest residual, you can afford / have GAP Insurance / and get the best rate you can(Jamie?)
However, I wouldn't go back to a 993 (not as a daily driver anyway) - interior really is decades out of date now!

In fact, found myself looking at a C4S when I had time to spare at lunchtime today :twisted:
, but can't change yet due to last bullet point above!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117840

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back