Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 year & reliability

anawaz

Montreal
I've read in few places that 996 is not one of the most reliable 911. Can someone please answer in detail the known issues and which year the major issues were resolved?

If (And I said 'IF'), I was to consider 996, what year/mileage should I be looking for?. I say mileage because certain issue may get resolved at certain major service for example.

thanks in adv

Aj

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116604

Just buy one, get the Porsche warranty and drive the damn thing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116607

here here,you wont regret it.just look at a few and buy on condition,i did a week or so ago.am now having fun,read the threads on this forum and you will get as much imfo as you need

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116613

You need to watch out for running out of petrol, they can do that!

Tyres, they can wear out a little early.

Washer fluid, well that a tricky one, there's too many reports of some just not cutting it.

Oil, yes it needs it occasionally.

Too many internet forums spreading stories of a few failures.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116614

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by anawaz on 12 February 2007

I've read in few places that 996 is not one of the most reliable 911. Can someone please answer in detail the known issues and which year the major issues were resolved?

Aj

As a % of production, the 996 is a very reliable car (ask a recent merc owner - there are a few on here). But basicaly buy what you can afford. For £30K you should just about get a facelift car with 50K miles on the clock. Major service will just have been completed. THen you can get a warranty on it for the next 5 years and have a lot of peace of mind.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116623

Just buy one, you definitely won't regret it. Sensational car.

Mine is a daily driver with little more required than routine maintenance (although routine maintenance does cost more - however this shouldn't be an issue otherwise you wouldn't be considering Porsche would you!).

The OPC's over here in Sydney are a bit of a rip-off (don't know you boys go over in the UK) however if you find yourself a good independent service person maintenance can be very reasonable.

Trust me (and everybody else on this forum) you won't look back. It brings a smile to my face every morning I fire it up and mine is "only" a 3.4L!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116927

Hi,

Whether it is OPC, Indie or private have a good enjoyable time searching. Don't let your heart take over too much in the money stakes!!! However if you see something and it is the one go for it. I ended up going down the OPC route so paid over the private and Indie prices but the car had had its major service and £7,000 invested into it with tyres, pad, discs etc. Tollerating the unfortunate depreciation hit but never once regretted it.

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 118263

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back