Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking to buy a 996 (first 911!)

Thanks; agree about the interior.

How many mpg are you guys getting on the motorway in a 996 carrera?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116713

The 996 has a tank range on the trip computer which tells you stuff like av mpg and remaining range on your fuel(V.usefull I think). I found it quite strange that you could set off on the motorway with say a rangof 150 miles and watch it go up! I've managed 28/29 mpg on the M-way but this was in a 3.6 facelift model not 3.4, don't know if any diff. Talking of 3.6's any comments on a cat d repair like:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=&hassearched=Y&make=PORSCHE&min_pr=75&source=0&model=911&max_pr=&agerange=2&mileage=&miles=1500&trim=&keywords=&postcode=DY11+6YF&ukcarsearch_full.x=36&ukcarsearch_full.y=9&start=3&distance=101&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200705269142836

if that didn't work its a 996 targa 3.6 for sale on autotrader at £26k

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116718

That looks like a reasonable price for a Cat d - but it does depend what the car has been though and how much chasis damage there was.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116719

Looks fine; though not sure about the front lip extension, looks a little flimsy. So a Cat D does not put you guys off? If it has been sorted and is a new model and low mileage like that and if I intend to keep it for some time shouldn't really matter should it?? Espeically if I get a full inspection done?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116740

Cat D will kill you come resale, whenever it is. Try chopping one in to a main dealer, they wont touch them at all.

Yes you can get anewr car that no one will actually know has been damaged apart from you, but if you take a look at some of the salvage damage sites Cat d can be quite seriuos damage on a 996.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116745

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Silversurfer on 12 February 2007

Looks fine; though not sure about the front lip extension, looks a little flimsy. So a Cat D does not put you guys off? If it has been sorted and is a new model and low mileage like that and if I intend to keep it for some time shouldn't really matter should it?? Espeically if I get a full inspection done?
Personally - I wouldn't touch one unless I knew all the details of the accident ( ie knew the pervious owner)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116746

Hi,

Would not touch it. Spent 12 months looking for mine saw a couple of cat D C4 but walked. Just could not live with the fact that if anything went wrong and compromised mysef or my family would not live with myself. Decided to up my budget and found my beast at an OPC in the end which was someting I did not intend to do due to the higher prices but deal and the work done was worth it.

The fun of the chase great. Take your time and to be honest the way depreciation is hitting 911's in 6 months time you could get more than you dreamed.

Taken a big hit on my C4S over the last 10 months , which coud have bought me a brand new Toyota Yaris :evil:
. However do not regret it for a minute :D

Alan

Toyota Yaris

Toyota Verso

996 C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116757

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back