Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door Seals - Not Covered by Warranty?

Kirk1176

Hi All,

Just wanted to find out if folks have had a similar experience to the one I have just had with my 996. I purchased my 996 from OPC about 5 months ago - its now about 3 years old. Just before Xmas I noticed that the bottom of the carpet on the door panel was soaking wet, mostly on the passenger side.

Took the car in the a check with the OPC and they have replaced both door seals at a cost of almost £400! I have a warranty and they claim it isn't covered? Seems amazing to me that after less than 3 years the door seals have failed.

I'm thinking of complaing directly to Porsche UK as it seems pretty poor that a £60k+ car leaks water after <3 years and my Mum's £7k Clio is dry as a bone after 8 years.

Anybody else had similar experience? Is this a known issue with the 996?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115829

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Kirk1176 on 09 February 2007

Hi All,Just wanted to find out if folks have had a similar experience to the one I have just had with my 996. I purchased my 996 from OPC about 5 months ago - its now about 3 years old. Just before Xmas I noticed that the bottom of the carpet on the door panel was soaking wet, mostly on the passenger side. Took the car in the a check with the OPC and they have replaced both door seals at a cost of almost £400! I have a warranty and they claim it isn't covered? Seems amazing to me that after less than 3 years the door seals have failed. I'm thinking of complaing directly to Porsche UK as it seems pretty poor that a £60k+ car leaks water after <3 years and my Mum's £7k Clio is dry as a bone after 8 years.Anybody else had similar experience? Is this a known issue with the 996?

Door seals definitely not covered by warranty. So you'll get no change from them officially. You can try the goodwill route. It does seem odd that they've gone so soon. I don't think its a known fault certainly never heard of before, sounds like they may have been damaged at some point in the past.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115833

Rob do you think it would be worthwhile posting that list of warranty covered items on the forum?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115842

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 February 2007

Rob do you think it would be worthwhile posting that list of warranty covered items on the forum?
If I knew how to do it probably!

Alternatively can send the .pdf to someone smarter who can do it. Volunteers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115844

Its the seals on the door membrane

theres a plastic sheet between the metal of the door and the leather door card

its about £60/70 plus an hour or so to fix,

when you look at a car run your fingers along the carpet on the bottom of the doors,

very commom fault, but if a cars garaged not used very much its hard to spot

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115847

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob J on 09 February 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 February 2007

If I knew how to do it probably!

Alternatively can send the .pdf to someone smarter who can do it. Volunteers?

I'll have a go at doing it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115887

Having trouble finding the list - I know rob sent it to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115907

if it was me, and I had purchased said car from OPC 5 months ago,

I would ask as to how said item would have perished in such a short space of time, and if they couldnt provide an awnser, suggest that said problem was prevalant when said car was purchased, and should therfore have been sorted before purchase

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115925

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back