Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SlingBox

Bud Fox

Montreal
Does anybody have one of these??

I'm thiinking of getting one, but wanted to hear from others if they are as good as they appear!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115089

I know someone who has one, they are fantastic toys. What I would say is consider the sound quality compared to real CD's.

If you have a high end hi fi then sonicly a streamed MP3 will sound less full and dynamic than a real CD. You will notice the difference. You can rip your CD at a much higher bit rate but then that takes a whole bunch more storage.

To sum up...great for parties and background listening but for serious listening..CD everytime.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115099

Hi Gazzarc.

Are we talking the same thing? I thought these were the little gizmo's that you hook up to your cable / sky box and you can then watch TV on your lap top anywhere.
Technology baffles me,so I may have the wrong thing. :? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115107

Hmm...maybe

I thought they were the things that streamed music from a PC...hang on I'll check

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115112

O *****!!

I'm thinking of Slim Devices Squeezebox..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ignore earlier post, maybe I should edit it to spare my blushes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115113

Thanks for the effort anyway!

You don't need to delete the post as somebody might need to know about the slim device thingys :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115143

I've been looking at buying a Slingbox as I spend a lot of time travelling and miss my Top Gear / Spooks fix when I'm away - so it seems ideal.

As for the Slim Devices I have four of the SliMP3's - the old one before the Squeezebox - and they're excellent - yes Gaz - I agree, there's no substitute for playing the original on a good deck - but for being able to have CD's anywhere around the house - they're unbeatable.

Personally I encode with iTunes at 160kbps using dedicated stereo channels in MP3 and the results are 80% of CD which isn't bad for the convenience of being able to listen anywhere :)

Their new Transporter looks very interesting :D

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115171

Do the slingbox(es) work internationally?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115209

Sounds like interesting technology - might have to do some research. I assumed you initially meant around the house - sounds like it works a bit wider afield.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115239

I bought Slingbox last month after being stuck in Norweigian hotel with god awful TV.

From 4 trips since then, a Slingbox is awesome, our PR company does their PR and its worth every penny!! Best piece of technology on market! Within 20 minutes you are ready to go, watch your home Sky system on your laptop anywhere! Dixons have an online special of £139, you won't regret it!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126977

I have one too, excellent. I watch the cars via my CCTV at home whenever I'm away.

Tragic I know.

I can also see what the wife's up to and whether she's doing enough gardening.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138106

Sorry - just caught up on this thread - yes Bud, it works perfectly abroad - was watching Life on Mars and Doctor Who in Singapore - bandwidth is too slow while I'm in China but in the office and my flat in Sing works a dream

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139027

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spilly67
Back