Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1979 911SC Brake warning light

Dave Lister

Hi Guys I have recently purchased a beautiful 1979 911 SC in great condition, totally solid inside and out, you can even still see the factory paint underneith! It runs, drives and feels great but I have just noticed that the brake warning light on the dash has come on. Everything appears to be working fine, the only thing I have done since I baught the car 2 weeks ago is remove and clean the rear lights, including taking out the bulbs. When I put everything back together and started the car in the garage I noticed the light came on, I had recently done a 100mile round trip and it didn't come on whislt out on the road. I've tried disconnecting the battery and resetting it, the light went off temporarily but came back on after about 1 mile. My questions are as follows: Does the warning light have any connection with the bulbs? Anyone know why with the lights on the brake lights seem to make very little difference to the brightness when the brake pedal is pressed? What are the problems that the light indicates so I can try to diagnose why its come on? I hope you can help as I'm totally stuck! Cheers Guys and look forward to hearing from you! David

Migration info. Legacy thread was 112263

Hi,

The brake warning light monitors the hand brake, make sure it's fully off-I oftern don't release mine fully you do need long arms depending on where the seat is positioned, the light is not the easiest to see when driving.

It also checks both braking circuits (it does on a 83sc I assume yours is similar) but only comes on when applying the brakes if there is a fault.

You may have a bad earth connection.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 112270

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply. On the 1979 version I have 2 panels on the warning light, Parking brake at the top and Brake and the bottom, the parking light comes on and gos off with the hand brake but the other one stays on constantly now - thats the problem.

I agree with your suggestion about the earth, but I have no idea how to find out if this is the case so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

David

Migration info. Legacy thread was 112272

Try on Pelican forum, it seems a common fault

[u:uicoQ7l3eG]
=

It seems the trick to reset the light is to leave the ignition switch on and disconnect & reconnect the battery. Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 112542

Just a thought, Dave have you checked brake fluid level, this can cause the brake warning light to come on on some cars not sure on your 79 sc.

Good luck Dave.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113422

Thanks guys, the issue turned out to be to do with bulb fitting. I have purchased and refitted all bulbs and reset the warning light by disconnecting the battery with the ignition on. It now stays off and all is well.

Just thought it might help to anyone having similar issues to know that the warning light does indicate bulb faults.

Cheers guys and happy motoring!

Dave

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113603

Hiya... being a "female" I'm probably wrong but is that light not the one that warns you pads are low??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117428

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back