Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1973 2.7 RS

In 1973, the RS was a 'fat arse mother'! :D
Here's another view:

DSC00374.jpg

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114291

Brilliant story, pleased for all, smiles all round. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114292

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 02 February 2007

:oops:
must admit I've really only started to appreaciate the pre-impact bumper 911 shape,as it was more the impact bumper shape I loved

but thats just looking awesome,lean and pert as Dunc says,nice and uncluttered too
I'm definately edging that way with a new found appreciation of the 60s / early 70s cars. A couple of years ago I was gonna go from my 993 to a 993TT or 996TT but now find them both a bit fussy (less so the 993).

I never liked the 996GT3 when they came out but now i'm rather partial to their subtle body kit (particularly the mk1 ;))

I'd love to have a 911S or similar in the garage (obv. a 2.7RS would do) as i now love the classic original slim 911s. Philip, i hold your collection in high regard - an excellent stable of Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114295

Well that's a result!

Sorry it didn't go to you in the end Philip, but glad you enjoyed the trip.

It would be great to get updates from time to time either from you or your friend. Do try and persuade him, won't you.

Any chance of letting us know what it went for - 'above X but below Y?'

Ciaou,
Kim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114312

Simply great story with a really good ending.

So Philip, what early 911 could I buy and run every day?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114327

Hi Philip

Did I see you in the yellow Carrera yesterday afternoon in Pool near Otley?

I don't like remembering this - but back in the early 80's I could have had a white 2.7RS from a garage in Keighley for I think it was £8500 but I couldn't afford it at the time. Breaks my heart......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114332

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nineoneone on 03 February 2007
Hi Philip
Did I see you in the yellow Carrera yesterday afternoon in Pool near Otley?
I don't like remembering this - but back in the early 80's I could have had a white 2.7RS from a garage in Keighley for I think it was £8500 but I couldn't afford it at the time. Breaks my heart......

Sorry - not me - I got back about 5:15am yesterday so I was wasted the rest of the day :oops:
There is a replica RS in light yellow with green decals, that live up here - may have been him.

I know how you feel about 'the one that got away' - back in 1988 I had a 1985 BMW 323i - a trader offered to swap it for an Aston DB6 Vantage Manual in blue he had in - do I wish I had swapped now? :(

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114333

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Anthony Corbett on 03 February 2007
Simply great story with a really good ending.
So Philip, what early 911 could I buy and run every day?

Hi Anthony - I was going to reply to your pm - but here goes.

The answer isn't easy - using these early cars in winter is very risky - I only brought the RS the other night after extensive checking of where had been salted recently - and then chosing my route to avoid it :eek:

Porsche didn't start galvanizing the cars until much later - so any penetration of the paint or protective undercoat will be attacked by salt and cause corrision - this is why UK early cars are SO rotten compared to other countries.

Your Cab will be galvanized - so it's 'extra' protected.

Also - your Cab will be a quick car - the 3.3 Turbo has a lot of shove and the extra weight of the cab vs. coupe is hardly noticable.

The other problem you have with the early cars is - are you ready for this - NO HEATER!!! :eek: :eek:

Heat comes through the exchangers and into the sills, then out of vents in the sills - the forward motion of the car then eases the heat through the exchangers giving some degree of heat flow - but whe stationary - there's NO HEAT - so in the cold weather, you can sit for ages waiting for the car to warm up and begin demisting.

The best bet would be to try a couple of early cars - and don't exclude the post '73 impact bumper cars - they're more refined but still have that 'early car' feel to them.

In all honesty - I think the car you've got is stunning - and any other early car is going to be a compromise - as an additional 'toy' to play with - wonderful - but to replace your Turbo cab - that's a hard task.

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114334

You know, Philip, maybe we should start a "one that got away" series - as well as the RS there was the Chevron B21 we sold for £4500 and is now worth somewhere around £80000-£100000 and the Lotus 6 (chassis number six) we sold for £2500. :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114335

I did a driving job after leaving school and was once asked by my boss to deliver a package to his Great Aunt. Had to walk through a barn for some reason, and there was an old car under a dust sheet. Being a petrolhead I asked what it was, and was told it was an Aston Martin, and her nephew started restoring it years ago but gave up and wanted £1500 for it.

At the time £1500 was quite a lot for a poor student, I was not a particular AM fan, it needed a total ground-up rebuild (although the aluminium body looked fine), and it didn't look anything like any Aston Martin I'd seen before, so I thought it was a con and walked away.

About 3 years later, a mate was showing me a book about Aston Martin, and there was a picture of a car absolutely identical to the one I'd seen in the barn...

It was a DB1R :eek: :eek:

Oops!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114337

nineoneone and Wattie,- that is bloody bad luck. (I thought I was unlucky.)

I bought a red 246 GTS Ferrari Dino Spyder in 1975 for £8500, and happily sold it a year later for £11,500.

When I was 17 a friend who knew I was into cars offered me his uncle's 1969 Shelby 350 Mustang that had been sitting for years in an outbuilding on his farm for £1500. No way had I that kind of money and my parents wouldn't lend it to me to buy a car with chickens sleeping in the back of it.

A friend of my Dad's offered my Dad an original 427 Cobra for £8500 around the same time. He was having lots of trouble selling it. No-one wanted it! Mind you £8500 was a lot of money then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114346

Philip.

Great story and what a result from a purely speculative post on a forum that's not particularly 'classic' porsche in the main.

Sounds like it would have been right up my street and have to say this thread has pushed me towards this type of classic being the next in the stable....best start saving the pennies.

I'll avoid going onto DDK I think or I know what will end up happening :twisted:

Keep us updated on the car - it looks simply beautiful in the pics

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114399

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 03 February 2007

In all honesty - I think the car you've got is stunning - and any other early car is going to be a compromise - as an additional 'toy' to play with - wonderful - but to replace your Turbo cab - that's a hard task.
Thanks for that Philip.

It was interesting to read your comments. It makes me hope that a few more early 911 owners start appearing and make a contribution to this forum. There were some lovely cars at the ACE on Wednesday.

I suppose that you have touched on the dilema I've been struggling with for ages. My car is the first Porsche I have owned and although I am lucky to have good friends that will lend me their 996's and 997's, I don't have any solid experience of the early cars or the 964 and 993.

The new cars are better in every respect than my turbo but then they should be. They are not however as "special". So for now, I'm not really bothered about changing the car. Perhaps the solution for me is to uy a used car for daily use and an early 911 for some fun.

It will be interesting to see what I'm quoted on Monday for my replacement 3 series BMW. Judging by the price of the Coupe's, the cab may be the equivalent of a decent 996 (and that will not be a hard choice).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114507

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back