Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Now Im getting a bit worried....

thanks for (mostly) good news! In the meantime - Ive read about RMS about a million times on forums - what is RMS??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108466

Rear Main Seal. Occasionally it leaks, it doesn't mean you are going to have your engine expire, although all the rumours 'seem' to tie both events together. The engine in the 'normal' water-cooled cars has an eccentric crankshaft action that causes a little extra vibration, this vibration can cause the RMS to break allowing oil to leak. These oil leaks are relatively harmless, leaking no more than many cars, however oil can leak onto the clutch plate.

Later revisions of the RMS have improved matters, although not completely sorted the problem out. I had my RMS replaced at 22k, I'm on 48k with no further leaks.

The RMS is covered by the Porsche Warranty so no problems there, co-incidently if you happen to need a clutch replacement when you discover you have an RMS problem Porsche will waive the labour charge!

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108471

My RMS is leaking and it's not a major problem (although I did stress about it initially before I knew the facts).

My OPC (Aberdeen) identified it at the major service. To be fair, while they could have preyed on my fears and replaced it at £1,000 approx they recommended that I just keep an eye on the oil level and not to worry about it. Three months on I've lost very little oil.

Assuming it gets no worse I'll replace it if/when the clutch goes, but otherwise I'll just keep a close eye on it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108901

I would get a warranty from Porsche for fullpeace of mind. I have a facelift 996 3.6 with 29,000 miles on the clock bought from a OPC. In 4 months it has needed 2 RMS repaired under warranty which would have probably cost me £1200+ (ie the warranty from the OPC has already paid for itself.

David

996 C2 manual

Migration info. Legacy thread was 109112

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back