Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 TT - Aerokit a good or bad thing?

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 09 January 2007

Aerokits are OK but personally I just didn't like the front splitter. Speed bumps, slopes etc will certainly have a field day with the standard turbo lip let alone the aerokit. I couldn't get my car on my drive with the standard lip so I now have a C4S lip on it (Which is pretty scuffed)

The rear spoiler on the first car is indeed fixed and it does make the car look a little more aggressive. However I do love looking in the rear view mirror and watching the top part of the standard spoiler raise at 75 MPH
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Mixed%20024%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

As for depreciation I bought with my heart not my head. At worst I would not expect to lose more than £18k over the next 3/4 years as long as I keep the mileage down. Mine was a 51 plate with 19000 miles from an OPC so I did pay a premium for it.

As for owning one, it is without a doubt the best car for me.I thought about the GT3 but I am not a trackday nut like many on here although I do intend to do a couple this year including the Ring. The car is my daily driver and I do need to get two kids in it from time to time. It is perfect for my needs.

And the power........... I think I am right in saying only two other standard Porsches are quicker than it in a straight line (to 100mph anyway) the 997 Turbo and the CGT. (That should provoke some response he he)
thanks for the first hand commentary - i think a standard body is enough. Anyone who sees the airscoops knows what theyre dealing with - you dont need to shout too loud!!

I have an E30 m3 for the track so thats not my major concern, otherwise it may have been a harder decision!

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107744

Previous poster said:
Quote: I think I am right in saying only two other standard Porsches are quicker than it in a straight line (to 100mph anyway) the 997 Turbo and the CGT. (That should provoke some response he he)

A Carrera GT a standard Porsche? :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107824

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 09 January 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: I think I am right in saying only two other standard Porsches are quicker than it in a straight line (to 100mph anyway) the 997 Turbo and the CGT. (That should provoke some response he he)

A Carrera GT a standard Porsche? :eek:

:D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107826

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by PiersFox on 09 January 2007

thanks for the input guys - was looking at this one - a bit up on the miles, but good value with a fsh and warranty from porsche. Any flaws before i make the trip north to take a look?
http://www.motorhouse.autoweb1.co.uk/details.asp?cdID=685769

I know its not black!! :roll:

cheers
Northways (nr Reading) are advertising a nice one- £1k more than the above, but less miles. And more black, in a dark blue sort of way...

http://www.northway.co.uk/car_sales/car.asp?ModelName=996+and+Boxster

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107839

thanks robert - like the blue - but i think if spending this sort of ££ (this is a massive purchase for me!) then i should wait for a black one.

Is there any disadvantage to buying an early car (2000)? i.e. did porsche find any issues on the turbo in 2000 that were corrected in later cars?

many thanks

Piers

PS: ANYONE HERE SELLING A BLACK TT?! ;o)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108693

Aerokit adds more downforce at the rear and cancels out a bit of the lift at the front.

I think the GT3/2's manage to have zero lift on the front axle, but at 150mph the TT has a few kg. Lower it 10mm though and add the GT2 bumper, and you should be close to zero though.

The fixed wing ups the rear downforce by a few kg at 150mph over the pop up one.

For stability you want more downforce at the rear than the front, although the balance is very important and should not be taken lightly.
However at legal UK speeds it is all completely irrelevant. But above 100mph airflow starts to become a bit more interesting, at 150 it is more important, and at 190+ it becomes pretty essential.
At the top end the standard turbo feels very planted.
At 150-180 you just get some more wind noise.
I do not think you need the aerokit.
It reduces the ground clearance, and rather than having a flexible front lip that you can consider a consumable, it becomes an expensive, non-flexible painted liability, IMO.

Of course I should also add that the fixed rear wing saves the weight and complexity of the hydraulic pistons that push up the standard wing, plus it is one less thing to go wrong.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108733

thanks stuart - very unlikely i'll see the top end of the car so i think its the practicalities that are the important thing with this 650 euro front lip!!!

cheers!

piers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108783

Hi

I have just bought a 2003 black 996 TT today :)
. The dealer is refurbing the wheels (bit of kerbing and one flaking near the valve) and getting the OPC 111pt check performed before delivery in the next week or so.

It does not have the aero kit but looks fantastic without it. It does have the OEM chin spoiler which is black plastic rather than body coloured....has anyone painted these the same as the body colour. With a black car the contrast is not as good and I think it would look much better being colour matched. Any thoughts??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 112544

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back