Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Good news on the blown engine front

a1damuk

i posted a reply a couple of months ago saying how the cylinder liner had gone pourous causing my 996 to hydraulic, this however no longer seems to be the case!

After nearly two months of looking for the probelm, it has been decided that the piston rings have gone on my 996. The bottom piston rings have gone inwards, therefore allowing oil to get past and into the cylinder, thus causing it to hydraulic. This is better news on my behalf as it was looking like being an engine replacement before hand. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105774

Glad to hear it is not as bad as it possibly could have been. Any news on what the final bill will be?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105789

i think the estimate is around £3000 mark, this is to replace all piston rings (6 pistons, 3 rings per piston) and labour. anybody had this work done before? the mechanic reckons its because the previos owner has used incorrect oil. After readinginto the cracked cylinder liner problems (of which there are thousands) i am very keen to prevent this. is there anything i can do to avoid it?

regards

a1damuk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105974

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back