Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manthey/GT3RS or 997GT3 - HELP

Adrien - have you driven an RS on the road? I ask as you make out that they're no good for it. Are they that much worse than a garden 3?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104247

Ade,

Thanks for the responses, so you would have had an RS if you had had the xtra £25k at the time you bought your 3, but would you say a fully Manthey'd 3 is a better proposition on the street and track than an RS.

re-sale wise the RS has to be a better proposition, i just prefer silver though! and leather, my interior is spot on!

Ade, maybe you and Sunny should get some GT3RS alike vinyl cut for the lower sides that say GT3 Manthey

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104271

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 28 December 2006
Adrien - have you driven an RS on the road? I ask as you make out that they're no good for it. Are they that much worse than a garden 3?

Sorry Dunc, I didn't intend to imply that they are no good for it as even the normal 3 is compromised compared to a regular 996. The standard RS suspension is better on track than the standard 3. But over normal roads, the RS doesn't flow as well as the standard 3 choosing to bounce in places where a normal 3 would just absorb. The RS is generally slightly more fidgety than a normal 3 although this could have been due to the geo settings of the particular car I drove. But the key area for me is that an RS is just less practical than a normal 3 for road use: witness plastic windows, no rear heating element etc.

But a Manthey suspended 3 is better than both a regular 3 and RS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104280

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 28 December 2006
Ade,

Thanks for the responses, so you would have had an RS if you had had the xtra £25k at the time you bought your 3, but would you say a fully Manthey'd 3 is a better proposition on the street and track than an RS.

re-sale wise the RS has to be a better proposition, i just prefer silver though! and leather, my interior is spot on!

Ade, maybe you and Sunny should get some GT3RS alike vinyl cut for the lower sides that say GT3 Manthey

If you had an extra £25k, would you turn down an RS over a normal 3? :)

I agree than an RS is a better resale proposition - but obviously this has nothing to do with the car's capabilities. Indeed, imho, a Manthey'd 3 is a more capable car than an RS. Mind you, we are talking 9/10ths here! I love the torquier feel of the Manthey. Whether it is better is more a subjective opinion.

And yes, I've been thinking of some vinyl for some time! But more along the lines of something more colourful... :wink:
Manthey'd cars fly discretely with the badge of honour... :wink:

0008167.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104282

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 28 December 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 28 December 2006

Sorry Dunc, I didn't intend to imply that they are no good for it as even the normal 3 is compromised compared to a regular 996. The standard RS suspension is better on track than the standard 3. But over normal roads, the RS doesn't flow as well as the standard 3 choosing to bounce in places where a normal 3 would just absorb. The RS is generally slightly more fidgety than a normal 3 although this could have been due to the geo settings of the particular car I drove. But the key area for me is that an RS is just less practical than a normal 3 for road use: witness plastic windows, no rear heating element etc.But a Manthey suspended 3 is better than both a regular 3 and RS.
Ok, see what you mean. It would certainly be more compromised as a daily driver in these respects. I'd have thought that with the multiple adjustments available on the RS it could be set up to drive however one wished and could be 'retarded' towards std. 3 settings to make it more roady.

I can appreciate that of all the tuners Manthey know the 3 intimately and if i were to modify my car they're certainly the route i'd go.However, I like the idea of a std. car that does all i need 'out the box' and think that the RS will certainly become a rare and collectible car as time passes. Kinda like the way the mk1 is going just now.

Poon - the way i see it is it's more a choice of whether you'd like to improve your current steed by permanently modifying it. Or buying a factory std. RS and keeping it that way in the interests of purism. There are good arguments for both camps!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104336

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 28 December 2006
I'd have thought that with the multiple adjustments available on the RS it could be set up to drive however one wished and could be 'retarded' towards std. 3 settings to make it more roady.

The RS and standard 3 have the same type of adjustments. The RS dampers and springs are different rates though and the basic RS geo (wheel carriers etc) are different.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104409

Ade/Dunc,

Thanks for your responses

I popped into JZM this am (saw your car on the ramps Ade, I tried to convince Steve that I was you, but......).

Anyway had a chat with Steve, he is always abit elusive when being drawn into such discussions, but he did say that the RS is no better or worse than a standard 3 on road as long as the Geo is set up appropriately.

He went on to say that after having the RS for a year or so that knowing me I would probably get it Manthey'd, at least the K410 anyway. The RS suspension is more tunable than the standard 3 but in tuning it for track you lose road driveability.

RS is 50kgs or so lighter than mine (although mine has buckets so maybe not too far off the difference between a CS and an RS) so is going to be quicker, plus it has the pick of the GT3 engines.

I think it boils down to me wanting a change, but can I live with an RS everyday, I'll only do 4-5 trackdays per year and use the car nearly everyday, including hauling my Golf clubs around.

If I don't scratch the itch though!

I don't like the idea of spending £15k on a car and not getting it back on re-sale and still find that I really want an RS!

Oh dear, still confused, I need to go and test drive an RS!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104416

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by scotia_steve74 on 28 December 2006
Spotted an RS on autotrader for 59k.....

Steve, just seen it white/red, high(ish) miler!

Harbour cars have white/blue one in for £65k only 12000 miles, looks more like the car I am interested in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104417

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 28 December 2006

I popped into JZM this am (saw your car on the ramps Ade, I tried to convince Steve that I was you, but......).
dress up like a pirate next time...... :wink:

btw, mod's code 3

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104425

[quote:WJLkI1QxIY="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 28 December 2006[quote:WJLkI1QxIY="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:WJLkI1QxIY]

btw, mod's code 3

[/QUOTE]

??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104428

Hey Stu,

LOL, yes I was there today as they were refixing my rear PU after some clips came off. I think you are getting the itch! I had an itch after doing 12k miles in the regular 3. There were 2 options: get it Manthey'd or sell up and get an RS. Both would have cost about the same. I decided to get it Manthey'd and don't regret it at all.

I enjoy modding/upgrading components on my cars and it would be hard for me to keep an RS standard knowing that it could be improved upon. If I had an RS, it would only be a matter of time before I started wanting to Manthey that as well. I figure that Manthey'ing a regular 3 gets the best of all worlds: maintaining enough practicality for day-to-day driving, having superlative performance on track, and just the knowing that one has something quite special.

You should have a drive in my car sometime if that helps make your mind up.

Cheers,
Ade

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104455

I'm just gonna learn how to drive 1st :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104457

Ade,

Would love to come out in your beast, when is the arm up to it? RS will be a step up and should keep me happy for a year, by which time I'll K410 it or get a 997GT3. Manthey sounds like more me, in terms of always modding (just like you) but how much money do I keep pouring into cars only for other people to enjoy it, i.e after I get the next itch and move on.

I think that the RS is an itch that won't cost me loads come re-sale time, shame they don't do them in Silver, mind you the white does do it for me with blue.

Sean Lockyear's got one in at £64k, there is also a similar one at an OPC for £72K :eek:

Prices are from £59-£72k at the moment. OPC's not surprisingly are high, there is a white/bue one at Harbour Cars with PCCB's for £65k.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104458

We will never get our money back - go for the RS if you can! You're gonna Manthey it in the end... they are brilliant cars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104460

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back