Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM1 v PCM2

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ColinC2 on 03 January 2007
Fair point Wattie but the Kenwood system I have is in the second car I have owned now (previously in a CSL) and it has never got me lost in England or Europe. I think my attena is behind the rear view mirror.... and I could not go back to PCM now having had touch screen (and remote control if necessary!)
Guys that are interested in my install - I have taken some very quick pics today but dont have enough time to get them uploaded today.
Watch this space as they say...

The Porsche has got a lovely built-in location, underneath the alarm LED, this is a standard antenna that would connect quite nicely to a Kenwood.

Also any decent SatNav (excluding Tomtom and other handhelds) have a gyroscope that records speed/direction when the satellite signal isn't present ie. tunnels etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105969

apologies for quality of images ... its difficult to get in the back of the car with GT3 seats !!!

Here is a DVD playing

Wires in the pocket underneath are for cyclops which sits nicely in the pocket and the shape sort of matches the instrument cowl shape (i know - thats saddish!)

The climate control unit has been moved to the bottom - Porsche supply a new cowling to do so

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/More-Detail-with-DVD-6x4-fo.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106310

The unit can be controlled using a small remote or by touch screen controls.

Here is example of satnav map - can have split screen with different scales of map or one is map and the other is turns coming up.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Sat-Nav-6x4-for-web.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106311

I have ipod interface cable installe into the back of the unit with the ipod in the glovebox. Again all ipod functions controlled on the touch screen

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/showing-ipod-6x4.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106312

The ipod interface allows 'discs' to be genre, playlist, album or artist and can browse through 6 at a time

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/ipod-menu-album-6x4-for-web.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106314

Really poor pic of satnav unit under drivers seat

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/satnav-unit-6x4.jpg

Happy to answer any questions that people may have...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106317

good job there colin :D

was it an easy install ? or did you have someone install it for you ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106572

That looks great Colin. Great normally = expensive. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost including installation?

Thanks

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106576

FOR THOSE WHO MISSSED IT ON PAGE 1

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/pcm_1v2.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106584

Looks great :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106597

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Bud Fox on 05 January 2007

That looks great Colin. Great normally = expensive. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost including installation?ThanksMatt
good question! and a bit difficult to answer as the original satnav unit came out of the csl , the flip screen was replaced and i sold that .... here is a bit of a guess

DVD Satnav unit (covers all of europe) 1200

DVD/CD/MP3 player with 7.5 inch screen 800

Ipod cable and other bits (porsche surround when moving the climate control unit) about 100

Fitting - 10 hours at Bannings in Guildford which i think would be about 400

Call it £2500 ?

Not cheap when put like that but it is transferable between cars or could add some interest when selling cf PCM1 or cf a car that has nothing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106784

Great Job Colin, My friend who has just bought his 1st 911 is now complaining as this post will cost him money as he's going to do same.. Is there an option for Blue tooth phone on 'newer' versions ???
Regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 107438

I think the answer's "no" but does anyone know definitively whether a PCM 2 system could be retorfitted into a non-PCM earlier car....

sorry if its been covered elsewhere but i couldn't find refernece to it

cheers

Tim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108320

and i have lost the pwer to spell also.... for shame

Migration info. Legacy thread was 108321

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo