Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM1 v PCM2

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
PCM1 took Casette Tapes ! and the mapping CD's are not to upgradeable

PCM2 Cd's......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100359

Attachments

• pcm_1v2_346.jpg
    pcm_1v2_346.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 750
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Wattie on 14 December 2006

I'm assuming the car is pre-facelift then, else I believe it would have PCM2 - anyone know any different?
I thought PCM2 came out in 2003. So the first load of Facelift cars has PCM1 - which to be honest (IMHO) is not that good at all.

It can be lived with though and is certainly better than nothing!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100474

PCM 1 uses tapes and PCM 2 uses cd, also pcm 1 only works phone on o2 or vodaphone and the pcm 2 uses all networks.

pcm2 is available on 03 model year onwards.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100712

I think that the performance of both is pants compared with touch screen models available today from Kenwood or Alpine combined with separate hands free phone kit from, say, Nokia.

When i ended up with no Porsche PCM in my turbo I was initially a bit miffed but have ended up with a better system that looks like OEM.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101224

OK - the last one sounds interesting - what did you end up getting Colin?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101230

I have a kenwood DVD screen and satnav. The screen is as close as I could get to the OEM but it is touch screen. If you have seen the latest Jaguar system it is actually the same. I then have an ipod lead and can control the ipod from the touchscreen.

I am really impressed with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Am more then happy to answer more questions / give demos if you are in the south.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101237

Could you post up a picture of how it looks ?

I'm looking to get a 996 Targa with PCM 2 (for the OEM look) which restricts the market somewhat.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101347

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dave Smith on 18 December 2006

Could you post up a picture of how it looks ?
Exactly my question for Colin C2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101370

Sorry guys - I have been really tardy at doing this .... basically I forgot !! :oops:
Am at home tomorrow so will try and take post pics.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105452

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ColinC2 on 02 January 2007
Sorry guys - I have been really tardy at doing this .... basically I forgot !! :oops:
Am at home tomorrow so will try and take post pics.

Get your act together Colin!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105540

Just a word of caution about aftermarket sat nav:

PCM, like all OEM systems, are linked into the vehicle's CAN system and will continue to provide accurate navigation when insufficient satellites can be seen... Sat Nav needs at least 3 satellites in 3 different directions to be visible (line of sight - i.e. no buildings, car roofs, etc. in between).

Aftermarket systems usually have an antennae INSIDE the car, so pillars and roof already limit the locations of satellites visible. You then also have tall buildings in town/city centres, and so on... You will find that satellite signal is lost fairly regularly, and in really bad weather it can be lost for hours at a time (I once drove all the way from Exeter to Bristol with no signal at all on my Tom Tom, but my PCM1 was accurate to within 10 metres!)

If you have PSM, PCM knows everytime you turn a corner, it knows from ABS how fast you are travelling, and it assumes that you are driving along a road, and therefore continues to provide accurate navigation with no satellite signal at all if necessary.

Because you cannot easily get updated maps for PCM1, I now substitue it with my laptop running Autoroute 2007 (comes with a GPS receiver) to get latest road info... Whilst cumbersome (needing a laptop) this is brilliant, as you can sit at your desk and plan your route (or recall an existing saved route) then as soon as you get in the car, just press the start button and off you go! Only thing I'm missing is TMC, but I use Vodafone traffic news for that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105557

PS. In case you're wondering, a significant proportion of my income is earned from delivering training on using vehicle systems!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105558

How did we survive before SatNat??

I've got lost twice (failed to find my destination quickly) in the last year & each time was using bleedin SatNav. It's like many of these automated things stops you thinking. In each case I assumed it would get me to my destination, only to find it got me to within 200yds & then couldn't find the place I was looking for. without the Satnav would have got proper directions and got there far quicker :oops:

Bit like parking sensors too, got irritated with the RRS beeping at my so switched off the sensors. Get home reversed down the drive & nearly put it through the garage door because I didn't get a beep. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105563

Fair point Wattie but the Kenwood system I have is in the second car I have owned now (previously in a CSL) and it has never got me lost in England or Europe. I think my attena is behind the rear view mirror.... and I could not go back to PCM now having had touch screen (and remote control if necessary!)

Guys that are interested in my install - I have taken some very quick pics today but dont have enough time to get them uploaded today.

Watch this space as they say...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105916

Colin, if you had your Kenwood professionally installed, you may have an external aerial - I think you can get them for Navman and Kenwood systems.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105961

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back