Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 BRAKES

Steve Conway

Hi everybody. Ok so my 996 C4 is due for discs and pads all round. I know I can fit them myself, but there are so many aftermarket items out there, I don't know quite where to start. Anybody recommend any of the aftermarket discs and pads. The Porsche original equipment is around £750 for the parts from what I can find. Also, if the original discs are Zimmerman (just guessing) and the pads Pagid(Not sure), where can I get them without the Porsche Logo on. Sorry everybody, its a bit long winded, but I want to get it right............

Kindest Regards

Steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99908

German & Swedish ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99915

i saw some brake parts in a porschshop cataloque the other day. EBC greenstuff pads are supposed to be good, but i've never used them... yet.

a good place to start is probably just searching for pagid/zimmerman on the net and you'll find somewhere that'll send them to you.

Places like demon tweeks will also stock these parts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 99999

Have to say - the only after market pads Ive ever used were PAGID - and they were very very good.
But whatever you get - be careful not to go too extreme - coz they'll squeel like a cat assaulted with a red hot poker!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100039

Hi,

I just last week went through same issue all round with OPC (Sheffield) quoting STUPID prices (£1700) I bought Original Porsche parts from Design911 shipped next day (BTW They also offer OEM parts but don't recomend) and had my local Brembo brake centre fit em... Parts were about £650 incl discs, pads, shims sensors the lot and labour to do it £150. There was a slight problem as the cailper bolts protude by a few threads and with the classic steel bolts in aluminium corrosion issue, they had to run a tap through and clean the threads before torqueing up. I didn't bother doing myself, althogh I hear it's not too difficult.... For the first day or so they felt a little 'dull' but now SO much better and really secure...

Cheers Rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100044

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rob STEW on 13 December 2006
Hi,
I just last week went through same issue all round with OPC (Sheffield) quoting STUPID prices (£1700) I bought Original Porsche parts from Design911 shipped next day (BTW They also offer OEM parts but don't recomend) and had my local Brembo brake centre fit em... Parts were about £650 incl discs, pads, shims sensors the lot and labour to do it £150. There was a slight problem as the cailper bolts protude by a few threads and with the classic steel bolts in aluminium corrosion issue, they had to run a tap through and clean the threads before torqueing up. I didn't bother doing myself, althogh I hear it's not too difficult.... For the first day or so they felt a little 'dull' but now SO much better and really secure...
Cheers Rob

Porsche recommend replacing the caliper bolts when you change the discs. For 10 quid each axle it's not much for piece of mind!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100054

Hi

Check out Design 911 site they supply Porsche discs and pads at very good prices

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100071

as Damian says changing the calliper bolts are an easy and cost effective choice..

regular Pagid pads are fine

and it is also worth while putting in a higher rated brake fluid to 5.1

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100237

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 14 December 2006
as Damian says changing the calliper bolts are an easy and cost effective choice..
regular Pagid pads are fine
and it is also worth while putting in a higher rated brake fluid to 5.1

Thanks Sundeep, the surplus bolts can be used for the various Frankenstein fancy dress parties that you can now get invited too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100343

Many Thanks to one and all. Very much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on and give the costs too.

All the very best for the Christmas season and New Year!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101553

first of all zimmermann are NOT oem parts and has never been fitted any porsche .the discs are made by ate and brembo .on the the brake pads supplied by the likes of gsf and ecp etc there is a difference in the pad material especially turbo and gt3 etc. and some do not even have the vibration weight as fitted to the later porsche brake pads .in all cases new caliper bolts must be used and torqued to 130 nm.a customer of mine ordered a service kit from ***** for his 930 flatnose once they were parts brought from *** parts and then sent out by ***** as oem parts what a load of bollocks even then the drain plug sealing washers were missing .the truth is people who are not in the know are being conned
>> mod edit: please take note that we have a no name and shame policy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 101610

Thanks Sid!

You need new caliper bolts because they have a locking compound coating on them to prevent them coming loose whilst driving. I've also heard/read that when torqued to 130nm they 'stretch' to lock themselves in securely.

On GT3 Mk1, C4S, Turbo the OEM pads are typically Pagid, Textar and some other Spanish company whose name escapes me! As Sid says, some of these are 'missing' the anti-vibration blocks, only the OEM ones will have them.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 102015

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back