Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 gt2 vs 996 turbo s

A properly setup GT2 can run rings around a GT3.

Whether it will is totally driver dependent.

I was at Oulton in March this year, and there was a properly setup (ie, geo had been done) GT2. Nothing could touch it. Through the corners, it was dead even (credit to the GT2 driver), but as soon as there was a straight, the GT3s were mobile chicanes.

The driver was clearly in control of his GT2 at the limit... something that can't be said for all GT2 owners.

The 996GT2 was quicker than the 993GT2 that was there, but it was very close.

Given the same driver in both a GT3 and GT2, however, and the GT3 will be much easier to drive and probably enable the driver to lap more consistently than in the GT2. The GT2 takes a lot more effort to pilot at the same pace as a GT3 simply because of the physical dynamics.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95397

wise words, I recall how F1 fast both Guy and Henry were at the Ring a few years back in their 996 GT2's............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95400

I still like the GT2 :twisted:
...alot.... awesome car...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95418

It does look a monster the GT2, I guess finding a good one would be harder than finding a good GT3??

Anyone know how many there are?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95428

Cargraphics GT3 took the tuners GP this year, and that was against some of the most powerfull GT2's on the planet. That said if I ever see a good one out here in the middle east, I probably would swap.

Max

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95450

The key difference between the GT2 and the TT is the front differential - TT is of course 4WD - GT2 CS also had things like single mass flywheel and all GT2's had different gear and final drive ratios to TT.

On a straight line, the GT2 will edge ahead of the TT by being first off the mark - at around 100mph the TT will be catching it.

On a circuit the reduced oversteer on the TT means it'll turn in sharper but will be less driftable - so you have to be more accurate with your exit - and the exit understeer will be very noticable. The line for a TT is completely different to a GT2.

The GT2 is an awesome machine - as Adrien pointed out - a well set up GT2 will be quicker than a '3' primarily because of the straight line performance. The '2' has wider track both front and rear and is harder to position through the corners compared to the '3'. In the hands of a skilled driver the '2' will always be faster. However on a circuit like Cadwell or Anglesea where you have very little room, the '2' will be a handful - at Oulton - different story.

Through the corners a '3' will be all over the TT - however the TT's straight line grunt will leave it on the exit / straight. Another thing to consider is braking - even with PCCB the TT has more weight to scrub speed from - so the '3' doesn't need to be hauled up in the same way as the TT - making it faster through the corners.

Weight is a key factor - TT's weight considerably more than '3's - not only comfort items but also front differential and drivetrain.

TTS, as pointed out by another poster, had X50 and PCCB's and special paint - that's it.

993GT2 is a very different machine to 996GT2 - but the 996GT2 is very much a race proven machine - however the GT2 class in ALMS / LMES became less competitive with the growth of the prototypes and in FIA GT the GT2 couldn't compete with the Saleen's, Fezza 550GT's etc - and GT3 class in FIA was roughly 50% of the running cost of higher classes. So not many people campaigned 996GT2's.

996GT2 had GT1 derived engine, rose jointed multi-link suspension etc - so was very much a race car ready to go - people like Rupert Lewin have campaigned GT2'Evo' vehicles with c. 700bhp (produced by PSI motorsport) but the lack of factory race programme for GT2 - along with the lack of competition class for GT2 meant the 996GT2 didn't enjoy racing in the same way as 993GT2.

The 996GT2 is not as celebrated as the 993GT2 - hence being roughly half the price of a 993GT2 - however they made five times as many!

BIGGEST problem with s 996GT2 is, as Adrien points out, driver ability - they're a sod to concentrate on all the time - and as others have said, a '3' will always be more fun :wink:

Which is why I sold my '2' and bought another '3' :D

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95456

thanks alot lads.you gave many useful answers.someone mentioned how turbo s is not much better than standard turbo,does s version have some drawbacks compared to the standard turbo?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96420

Standard turbo has 420bhp and 560Nm torque and steel discs.

There was an engine upgrade for the turbo, option X50, which raises that to 450bhp and 620Nm.
This cost about £8.5K.

There was an option for PCCB (ceramic brakes), I can't remember the option number. This was something like £4-5K I think.

A late model standard turbo with X50 and PCCB's is identical to a turbo S (apart from the badge on the boot).
The reason I say late model, is that over the 4-5 years they made the turbo, more of the items became standard.
The last 1.5 years of production had everything included (sat nav, Bose, etc.)

There is no downside to having an X50 or turbo S car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96431

thank you.will there be a 997 turbo s or they wont make it ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96551

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vanja on 02 December 2006
thanks alot lads.you gave many useful answers.someone mentioned how turbo s is not much better than standard turbo,does s version have some drawbacks compared to the standard turbo?

Yes - one major one - £20,000 more! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96733

Previous poster said:

The 993 Turbo S was a genuinely special model - unique in many ways - the 996 TTS was, in my opinion, a marketing hype - so they'll probably do the same with the 997 when it needs refreshing :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96734

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 03 December 2006

Previous poster said:

The 993 Turbo S was a genuinely special model - unique in many ways - the 996 TTS was, in my opinion, a marketing hype - so they'll probably do the same with the 997 when it needs refreshing :roll:

interesting point about the 993 TTS, so it was more than just the engine upgrade and the extras ? I've heard this before but would like to know more !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96909

993TTS: Rock solid suspension. Really rock solid. Carbon everywhere inside :?
. 450hp as standard (available on late TTs as the X50 upgrade which was originally 408 (standard TT) -> 430 -> 450hp. Groovy bodykit with different tail spoiler and rear wheel arch air intakes. Yellow calipers, but the brakes were not ceramic!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 96982

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 03 December 2006[quote:z8m4SOQof5="Previous poster"]Quote: [i:z8m4SOQof5]Originally posted by vanja on 02 December 2006thank you.will there be a 997 turbo s or they wont make it ?

[/quote]
996 TTS was an end of life version to shift the last cars. It had nothing special, so was a marketing exercise.

997 TTS will be an end of life model too, I should think.
If they follow the 996, then:
997 TT will need to be around for about 2 yrs, then there will be an X50 option. Then about 2yrs later there will be an S for the last 6-9 months of production. Then it will go out of production for 2 yrs while people wait for the 998 TT.

997 TTS will have all the options included, but will be about 3-5K cheaper than buying a TT and adding them all yourself.

This should be the general scheme.

If they do not make a 997 GT2, then I reckon there might me a more focussed club sport type turbo. Just my idea and have not read anything anywhere about this. But there does not seem much need to make a GT2 (since there is no need to build a homologation special and to make it purely for marketing reasons, devalues the badge too much.)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stuart Martin on 03 December 2006

996 TTS was an end of life version to shift the last cars. It had nothing special, so was a marketing exercise.997 TTS will be an end of life model too, I should think.If they follow the 996, then:997 TT will need to be around for about 2 yrs, then there will be an X50 option. Then about 2yrs later there will be an S for the last 6-9 months of production. Then it will go out of production for 2 yrs while people wait for the 998 TT.997 TTS will have all the options included, but will be about 3-5K cheaper than buying a TT and adding them all yourself.This should be the general scheme.If they do not make a 997 GT2, then I reckon there might me a more focussed club sport type turbo. Just my idea and have not read anything anywhere about this. But there does not seem much need to make a GT2 (since there is no need to build a homologation special and to make it purely for marketing reasons, devalues the badge too much.)

sounds about right....

just like they said that when they launched the new 997, there would be no C4 version as the C2 was so good.......

and then a year later as sales start to level off, they launch the C4 version.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 97093

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back