Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

schematic Drawings

a1damuk

The engine on my 996 has just blown up, after scanning the forum i have found this is an all too common problem with the early 996's (mine being a 1999). So out of interest has any body got, or know where i can find schematic drawings of the entire 3.4 engine? any help would be appreciated!

a1damuk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93501

So to hear that Adam - what was the car mileage and usage? Any luck with a dealer?

This is most of our worst fears.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93506

bought the car privatly, had it under 5 mnths, truly gutted. its done 85,000 miles, but i only use it to go to work and back, the car has been under no strain what so ever! a non official porsche centre is quoting me around £8000 for a used engine replacement, i dont really know which way to go, after reading the forum about other problem 996's i am annoyed and feel let down, which ever option i choose i will be losing a lot of money! any opinions/ advice are welcomed!

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93512

£8K - sounds good for a new engine. You are in a difficult position. But look at it this way - spend £8K and get an engine good for another 100K miles. Only problem is you need to keep it for a long time to see this benefit.

If you wanted a quicker car you could look at the autofarm options.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93520

its not a brand new engine there going to get for me, its a used one, would you still say this is a good price? whats to stop the new (used) engine blowing again, is there any guarantees i could get? thanks alot for schmatic drawings, im intersted in seeing drawings of the cylinder liner as i have been told this has become porous and sucked in oil causing hydraulic lock. I would like the draings to try and find the weakness as i cant understand how oil has got near the liner.

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93525

I am pretty sure the OPCs suggest £12K for a new engine. Not sure what s/h engines go for. Depends how many miles the engine has done - plus can you garentee you are being given the real answer.

Is a new 3.6 engine an option?

I would look at the autofarm solution. Total 911 discussed a few of the options a few issues a go. If you emailed them I would be able to get you this issue.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93528

i was quoted £25000 for a "brand new" engine! on the thought of the 3.6, do they suffer the same issues as the 3.4...the breaking cylinder liner? whats the difference in price for the 3.6 compared to the 3.4? do you suggest a replacement engine from autofarm or one of there cylinder liner kits? have you any experience in using the liner kits..do they work? thanks for the advice, will email total 911 and ask for the copy!

much appreciated

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93536

£25K is well out. Ask another OPC. I don't have any experience of this problem I'm afraid.

The 3.6s suffer less, however, by the end of the 3.4 run, they had sorted out a lot of the weaknesses. So they are pretty good to. So either way a new engine is going to be better than a s/h one.

I would suggest a call to Porsche GB to discuss the problem.

Also give autofarm a call to find out more about what they do.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93537

adam, what was the service history of the car ? were you long out of warranty ? regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93556

hiya sundeep, i bought the car privatly about 5months ago, unfortunatly, everybody and their granmothers has serviced it, and its on a 99 plate so im assuming i have no warranty? how much extra would it be to put a used 3.6 engine in instead of a used 3.4?

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93655

The standard warranty is for 2 years, then you can extend it.
It used to be up to 100K miles, but is now 120K miles, and up to 9 years old.
Not sure which would apply to a '99 car.
You need to either get the car serviced at an OPC, or get an annual inspection by the OPC and pay £725 per year, although this went up a few months ago and is now £850 or something.
Without doing this, then you have no warranty.
As for good will, then at 85,000 miles, 7-8 years old and with no OPC service history, then I think you have almost no chance, I'm afraid.
The only chance would be to strip the engine and find the root cause of the failure. You would then need to prove that it was down to a manufacturing defect. This will cost several thousand, and probably won't help you.

I would guess the cost of a 3.6 would be similar to a 3.4. Since more 3.6s have been sold, there may be more around at breakers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93656

Hi Adam,

Try Northway, a good friend of mine had the same kind of thing on his Boxster 's', Northway charged him £4900, for a replacement engine ! and this inc. a new clutch at the same time !

Sorry to hear your news.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 93666

Thanks for the replies, i am still waiting for the independant mechanic to get back to e with more details of whats gone wrong, (he decided further inspection was neccessary to find the root of the problem). Where abouts is Northway located? What guarantee did he recieve with the new engine in his Boxter s? thanks

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 95175

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back