Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCCB (again)

Max Bowler

I bought a 7 month old GT3 about 12 months ago, I'm more than happy with it apart from the pccb brakes, which I wouldn't have specced if I'd bought the car from new. Can anyone recommened a complete replacement steel setup (preferably from 1st hand experience). As I'm less than happy at paying what amounts to a new sports bike.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89980

Hi Max,
Contact Steve McHale at JZ Machtech to discuss the floating Alcons. Standard replacement for a lot of GT3ers. I swapped over to these at the beginning of this year and 12k miles later, 15 trackdays later, they are still going strong, no cracking or anything like that. Very very good disc: 360mm solid floater, anti-rattle shims, custom developed between Alcon and JZM. Supposedly should last at least 25-30 trackdays. Fits perfectly with the 6pot calipers.
Cheers,
Adrien

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89984

Thanks for the help will speak to him today.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90138

Max

Alcons get my vote as well with Pagid RS29 pads, the other alternative are Brembo's

West Brom ! we're off karting on the 25th Nov at Brum Wheels ! check out the events section

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90154

Sorry but although I'm from West Brom I live in Saudi Arabia which is why I struggle getting any usefull advise, so please don't get irate if I seem to be asking the most mundane questions, the local porsche opc are clueless, although very friendly. Still support the mighty west brom though. While I'm at it tyres are past their best(bald) has anyone fitted anything other than michelin pilot sport cups? If so, recommendations would be gratefully accepted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90252

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Max Bowler on 15 November 2006
Sorry but although I'm from West Brom I live in Saudi Arabia which is why I struggle getting any usefull advise, so please don't get irate if I seem to be asking the most mundane questions, the local porsche opc are clueless, although very friendly. Still support the mighty west brom though. While I'm at it tyres are past their best(bald) has anyone fitted anything other than michelin pilot sport cups? If so, recommendations would be gratefully accepted.

Out in Saudi, I think MPSCs will be your best bet. They are the most consistent tyre when temps get hot. Toyo R888s are very sticky/soft and may be too soft for the Saudi temps. PZero Corsas have slightly lower limits than MPSCs, and they go off sooner. MPSCs all the way based on where you are, imho.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90290

ARe the PCCBs worth anything second-hand?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90305

I think they are really only of some worth to PCCB-equipped cars and owners wanting to stay "original" (ie, less concerned with actual performance/effectiveness as they would otherwise go for steels) :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90335

I know what you mean, considering everyone keeps raving about them, compared to good steel brakes there is poor initial bite and no feel. Like I said earlier in this thread if I had bought it from new I wouldn't have ordered them, or got full leather interior.Clubsport with a/c would be sufficient for me(don't argue with me on the a/c thing, it regularly gets up to 140 here in summer).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90439

Nobody will argue about AC we consider it a must on GT3s here and were currently enjoying 9degC tops!! There's a 3 currently for sale which is worth approx £4k less due to its lack of AC.

I wouldn't worry about the PCCB's unless you're flinging it round tracks in Saudi as you'll struggle to get aftermarket replacements out there (i'd imagine). The OPC will skin you to change to steels. The PCCBs allegedly hold up ok with fast road use, its regular tracking that causes them to fall to bits.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90445

No problem with them on the road at all, but it's only 20 mins to Sakhir racetrack in Bahrain, been waiting all summer for it to cool down, last track day in June was a nightmare, a bloke I know in Bahrain with a GT3 killed his rear tyres in 3 laps, they just fell apart, and going to the track is my main concern with the brakes. Also any mods I make have to be done by yours truly. I'm not kidding when I say I took my car to get a new battery and lifted the bonnet up for the mechanic and he asked me what had happened to the engine. Quite funny unless I ever have a genuine problem, then my only chance is you guys.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90488

Very funny - just like most OPC's then!

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90504

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Max Bowler on 16 November 2006

I took my car to get a new battery and lifted the bonnet up for the mechanic and he asked me what had happened to the engine.
lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90510

Sounds like a pretty extremem environment for tracking so guess that you're PCCBs are on borrowed time already ;) . Changing out discs n pads shouldn't be a biggie as I presume that the calipers are same for steels. Don't know if mods are required to go to alcons though.

Dunno if one of those ebay special cd copies of the workshop manual might be of use to you. I haven't bought one and have no idea if they're any good but had considered one myself as I quite like to do a bit!

Anyone tried them?

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90516

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Max Bowler on 16 November 2006

I'm not kidding when I say I took my car to get a new battery and lifted the bonnet up for the mechanic and he asked me what had happened to the engine. Quite funny unless I ever have a genuine problem, then my only chance is you guys.
Well - while we know a bit more than that bloke - we may not be able to help with everything!

I guess the track temps are pretty high out there then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90527

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back