Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker CR22 and amp

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

on the subject of installing an amp, I have the CR22 head unit which with the correct cable will give line-out. I got myself one of those cables and it just simply plugs into the back of the head unit, however, there are 5 RCA's from it which are left front, right front, left rear, right rear and just one for 'Sub'. Dont all amps require 2 RCA's? unless of course the sub RCA has both left and right channels combined and therefore i would need an RCA converter from single to dual.

Can anyone shed some light? see the pic below

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/16_1_b(1).jpg

the black one is labelled sub

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89372

Well , aint that weird....

I bought both cables , because I was not sure what was used in my car... and the one like that , the one that I have , has only 4 RCA connectors. So no Sub on mine.

Do you have the manual of that unit ? On my manual there is diagram how all the outputs are connected. If there really is a Sub out from your head unit , I presume you could go and buy any Amplifier for Sub use ??? As then I would quess that the Sub frequencies are separated in the head unit ??? If not ( the wires are just connected in that special plug of yours ) , you can use the Front or Rear LineOuts , Left and Right both. And get a SUB AMP , as all the ones I have seen use L&R inputs.And if it is a real SubAMp , it must have the adjustments for level , crossover point and some even have a boost for Sub frequencies.

Did this make any sense at all.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89489

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

not really :)

in the manual it does show the pins for sub use and I contacted Becker about it who told me to buy this cable so I reckon that the CR22 head unit will provide the signal to an amp, however, I assumed this cable would provide the usual 2 RCA's but when it came with 5 it totally confused me. Perhaps it's something to do with a Porsche sound system upgrade like Bose.

When I finally buy an amp and sub I will try all combinations of the RCA's, cant hurt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89511

Yes , try it. I double checked my plug. It had only 4 RCAs ; FR , FL , RR and RL.

BUT !!! There is a skinny blue wire too , no label , no connector.....

e k i

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89667

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by eki912 on 13 November 2006
Yes , try it. I double checked my plug. It had only 4 RCAs ; FR , FL , RR and RL.
BUT !!! There is a skinny blue wire too , no label , no connector.....
e k i

I would have thought the skinny blue wire would be the amp remote line ie. switches the amp on and off based on the headunit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90008

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by John Paul Richards on 12 November 2006not really :)

in the manual it does show the pins for sub use and I contacted Becker about it who told me to buy this cable so I reckon that the CR22 head unit will provide the signal to an amp, however, I assumed this cable would provide the usual 2 RCA's but when it came with 5 it totally confused me. Perhaps it's something to do with a Porsche sound system upgrade like Bose.
When I finally buy an amp and sub I will try all combinations of the RCA's, cant hurt.
Your typical headunit will have a front to rear fade, this is why there are two pairs of RCAs, the sub feed does not need to be 'fade-able' or have it's balance adjusted so only one signal is required.

What you need is a 4+1 channel amp (5 channel), these typically run (for example) 4x90w and 1x370w, so you feed the 'standard' 4 RCA into the 4x90w connectors and the single RCA into the 1x370w sub feed.

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90013

Damian

where do you have your amp stashed in yours and what make is it ?

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90086

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 14 November 2006
Damian
where do you have your amp stashed in yours and what make is it ?
regards

In the garage :(
Seriously Sundeep, I haven't had the nerve to 'rip' out all of the Porsche MOST stuff so it's still standard. I keep contemplating wiring it in to drive the door speakers, I have a Rockford Fosgate line converter that can take the feed off the MOST amp's speaker out. This will provide a standard RCA feed to a 2 channel amp and the door speaker cables connected to the 'new' amp.

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90103

allowing for my limted ICE knowledge would / could the 2 channel amp power all the 6 speakers ? any sign of any subwoofer in the 4S ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90130

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 14 November 2006
allowing for my limted ICE knowledge would / could the 2 channel amp power all the 6 speakers ? any sign of any subwoofer in the 4S ?

No, 2 channels front, 2 channels rear, 2 channel door (bass). With careful filtering and drive units you could forget about the doors and use a sub possibly mounting in the passenger footwell!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 90131

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back