Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning Radiators in 996 C4S....

sykick

As it says in the subject, anyone know a good way to get in there, to get all the crap out? My hand is to big to get through the grill, and there seems to be a lot of debris in there!

Any ideas would be welcomed....

rgds,
Marcus

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88011

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by sykick on 07 November 2006

As it says in the subject, anyone know a good way to get in there, to get all the crap out? My hand is to big to get through the grill, and there seems to be a lot of debris in there! Any ideas would be welcomed....rgds,Marcus
My hand fits ok - if not ask the wife to do, or kids hands get in there fine too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88012

My OPC suggested blowing through with compressed air - that's what they'd do.

Only I don't have access to compressed air. Maybe next time its in for work.

So Poo - a hand won't fit through the C4S grills.

I was planning to pop the bumper off - major fag though - but I think the only way to do the job properly - also I want to see the state of the rads.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88019

Not sure I'm up to poping the bumper off, I have a compressor so I'll give that a go. The crap does not blow out while I'm driving though so I can't see the compressor being much different.....

rgds,
Marcus

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88022

I'm uncertain about the merits of blowing through with compressed air. Wouldn't that tend to drive any debris further into the rad?

I vacuum out the ducts thoroughly and then tip some hot water in there. This softens up the stubborn caked on stuff and then vacuum again. Should have said, I use a comercial type wet & dry vac'.

Reading OPC wanted to charge me something like £30 + VAT to do this, after a full 48K service. With a bill of around £800, I would have like to have thought that this would be done as a matter of course. Sorry, forgot, I was at an OPC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88025

It was Reading OPC that suggested blowing through could successfully chase out the debris (I think a hose poked in the right place would have quite a different effect to the ram air effect when driving) - though I like the idea of vacuuming out even more.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88048

Thanks Chaps,
I'll give the vacuum method a go and see how I get on.
vlad, I agree with you a compressor hose is a lot more directional/powerful than the driving effect.

rgds,
Marcus

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88053

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back