Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aston Martin V8 v Porsche Carrera 2S

Servo....I have had the car since July, done about 3k miles, it is my daily driver & no real problems to speak of, a rear parcel shelf rattle that needs sorting & the odd small "quirk" but so far (fingers crossed) it has been more reliable than my 996TT!

I also have the exhaust uncorked, so you get a fabulous sound track throughout the whole rev range.

Anyway I still love Pork, but at least there is now a real alternative below the £100k+ you pay for a Lambo or Ferrari!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88113

interesting comments there Porkernut !

agree about the V8..... and for looks the AMV8 wins no contest

there is a point in the future that the 'reasonable' priced 911 can no longer survive on just 6 Cylinders to compete for power & cost, but not yet....

but you recall that Top Gear episode on the IOM when they tested the AMV8 v 997 C2S v BMW M6 head to head.... if so what did you make of their comments

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88115

well i think the 911 is the better looking car, by some margin,

not saying the Am isnt handsome because it is, however the 911 looks so pure and simple and un ageing in comparison

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88129

IMO the AM looks better from the front but a bit squashed from the back/rear quarter angle. Would I prefer one to a porker....NO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88161

Just my 2p worth, but I think that what wins with the Porsche is that the lines flow into each other so seamlessly. There's no lumpy bits or ridges, just a smooth series of sensuous curves.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88167

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 07 November 2006

interesting comments there Porkernut !

agree about the V8..... and for looks the AMV8 wins no contest

there is a point in the future that the 'reasonable' priced 911 can no longer survive on just 6 Cylinders to compete for power & cost, but not yet....

but you recall that Top Gear episode on the IOM when they tested the AMV8 v 997 C2S v BMW M6 head to head.... if so what did you make of their comments

The 997S involved with the Top Gear test & most of the other tests, had PCCB's & sports suspension with limited slip diff (NO PASM), so a more sporting focus than the standard car. The one in the test above also includes the powerkit, so none are standard 997S's. With regards to the Top Gear test were you aware that Jeremy Clarson purchased am AMV8 as a consequence of the show...& still owns it!

Looks are subjective, but the views expressed on this site prefering the Porker are in the minority when the car is seen the flesh, the looks, design, interior & exclusivity are what justify the Astons premium over the 997S, it is as I have said automotive art & people pay a lot of money for art, this piece is also great to drive!

As I said before the bottom line is the Porsche is the better engineered car & ultimately the better drivers car, I love the 911 it is an amazing car. BUT Porsche are now producing too many and the styling is looking tired, look at the new 997TT it is like a 996TT with half of Halfords bolted on. Ok the engineering is, once again, brilliant & this is probably the most important aspect of a car like this, but Porsches design department need to wake up & smell the roses otherwise companies like Aston will start stealing the bacon. I know of at least a dozen 996TT owners that did not order the new 997TT.....why? If only the new car had taken a leaf out of the Carrera GTs modern sleek design book, alongside its technical evolution!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88173

although where the test sort of falls down is they have stuff every extra on the 911 to get it up to the AMV8 price, when in reality the 997 S is a £72k car, £10k less

although in the £80k's you're in GT3 territory ! and you don't want to go up against that !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 88185

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back