Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Telephone in PCM

Suzy Mills

I recently bought a 2002 Targa with a PCM unit and phone and havingproblems getting the phone working. The phone is "old style" and needs a credit card size SIM. I called Porsche and they told me that only Vodafone or BT (i.e. O2) will work.

I then bought a Vodafone SIM, put that into the slot -> wouldn't work. Took it into Porsche, thinking that the unit was faulty. They put their SIM card in (the SIM was in a tatty paper adapter) and that worked. They said - I probably need to activate the account first.

Called Vodafone -> account can only be activated if a call is made. It seems that I can't make the call, unless I break the SIM out of its credit card and put it into a normal phone.

I was still hopeful though that maybe the SIM card was faulty. Went back to Vodafone -> they changed the SIM to an older type (2005 model). Put it into car slot -> didn't work.

Broke it out of its card, put it into phone -> made a phone call to activate it. Cellotaped it back into holder (holds better than in tatty paper holder) -> put it back into slot -> didn't work.

Anybody has any ideas hoew to make the phone work??? Going potty here.

Cheers

Suzy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75274

I had smilar issues with the PCM1 system in an old car.

Have you tried manually dialling a number. Not worrying that you have no signal. Type a number in and press the handset button.

Do not ask me why it just seamed to work, well sometimes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75303

Thanks. That does not seem to work as I do not get the chance to dial. The screen just displays: No card.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75304

try a search on PCM as there have been a fair few posts

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75306

I managed to get it going eventually with the help of Porsche Hatfield. It turns out that the SIM had to be in a slightly different place then it was when in the card. Also, it was not close enough to the sensor, so Porsche wedged a little strip of paper into to to make the SIM closer to the sensor. High technology, eh? It is not that reliable. It finds the SIM at times, and says "No card" at others.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75954

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Suzy Mills on 24 September 2006

It finds the SIM at times, and says "No card" at others.
A good excuse if you ever need to avoid people! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75956

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back