Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2009 Porsche Panamera preview

Agree. Their aim is to sell a lot of cars. Profit at what cost? I know nobody likes to hear the brand slated - that's not why we're here contributing to these forums (we all love Porsche) - but objectivley, I can't help feeling that Porsche is moving further and further away from being a sports car manufacturer, and this model only emphasises the point. I think they will probably sell loads as well. However they'll only sell in 2009 if Porsche brand still stands for something tangible. If prices of early 996's do end up around the £12k mark within a couple of years as has been put forward on another post, every chav will have one and the brand will be a joke. People should buy Porshce's because they represent the best car for the money. The 993 and 996 fit the bill. The Cayenne doesn't come close. Nor will this be as good as the equivalent MB. People who buy purely on badge is what Porsche should be trying to avoid, not encourage if the want to stay on top of their game.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70232

Agree in part Simon, but we came close to losing Porsche during the 993 era, now they are imensily profitable. They still make great cars, the 997 TT and the 997 GT3 being good examples - but they are not the same company they were 15 years ago. Then again the prices are the same as 15 years ago - so they have had to change.

Times have changed - maybe time to buy a lambo?

However, I would prefer them to exist in any form rather than go bust.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70236

Like it or not Porsche have 2 options grow or die. History shows there is no place for the medium or even small size car firm anymore. Porsche have decide to grow. would you rather Porsche were producing more cars as an independent company or producing less & owned by BMW? I know which I'd prefer. Long term they will probably complete the takeover of VW/Audi.

Personally I think there is a market for a full 4 seat sports saloon. Porsche will have something to go head to head with the M5 or Maserati Quatroporte or E55. It's clear there is a market. Yes it make take some sales from the Cayenne. If it wasn;t for the fact I prefer the large capacity of the RRS, I'd definetley be interested in a Panamera type car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70247

Take for example the Mercedes brand... there is a brand which has been able to carry off mass production and huge prestige. The only problem they had was with build quality, which did more damage to the brand than mass production ever did (Porsche please note). Who else can get away with a price range that goes all the way from £15k A class to £350k MercLaren.

Porsche will be going nothing like as far as this- an £80k V8 powered front engined saloon is hardly devaluing the brand, the cheapest car porsche make is still well north of £30k.

The wider question is what does Porsche mean as a brand... so long as they continue to build great cars, who cares what form they take?

Earlier forays into cheaper cars have hardly devalued the brand, and examples of 924/944s can be found in many council estates without people yelling "Chav" at me as I burble past in the 993.

The interesting thing is that the 911 is a brand in itself.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70250

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 16 August 2006

550's rear seat is no bigger than 996/997 rear, so more of a 2+2 really. :roll:
When did they put rear seats in a 550 :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70291

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Kumaresh on 17 August 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 16 August 2006

550's rear seat is no bigger than 996/997 rear, so more of a 2+2 really. :roll:
When did they put rear seats in a 550 :eek:

I was probably thinking of the 456 or something, I get confused with the model numbers other than 911 993 996 997 987 944 924 ........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70298

no - i think your right Mick - there are some "token" seats in a 550/575......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70301

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 18 August 2006

no - i think your right Mick - there are some "token" seats in a 550/575......
Nah- the 550575 was always a 2 seater- there was a rear luggage area though, but too flat to sit in. The 456GT, 456m and now the 612 are the 2+2s.

FWIW, the Aston Vanquish has a 2+2 option, but is generally a 2 seater.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70312

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back