Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 C4S Oil Level

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Hunter on 25 July 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 24 July 2006

Jeremy - you have a manual.It is the correct source for all information on this and any other subject!If you are not sure having read the manual contact the dealer. If you suspect a faulty guage take the car back to the dealer. (If it is a Genuine Porsche dealer or a recognised experienced independant dealer.Any information provided here is personal opinion (incuding mine) - so let the manual be your guide.

I accept that all replys are personal opinion unless there are any Porsche mechanics out there that know different.

not necessarily..... as the info is also Porsche fact

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67554

Jeremy,
The bottom line of my reply is that anyone elses response of personal experience is just that, personal, different cars, different condition of engine and servicing and is basically heresay evidence.
You rightly refered it to the dealer and should probably get an opinion from other dealers - a grumpy unsympathetic mechanic where you bought the car may just be the guy covering up a problem.
So yes, of course it makes sense to ask questions but the manual is the guide to how the car should behave. Thats what you point out to the dealer you bought the car from.

As to the advice above, the sum of my reading/advice on the subject for my 911's over the last 7 years is ignore the guage and use the dipstick - under the correct conditions, it is most accurate (for the 3.2 Carrera and 993).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67565

Dont have a dipstick in the 997 so have to rely on the gague.My car seems to use a litre of mobil 1 every 2-3000 miles which seems a lot to me,does consumption decrease once the car has done a few miles and the components have 'bedded in' ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67632

Gosh what a lot of worrying,

It is simple, not conjecture

Use the gauge in the car when the car is cold and on the flat. To be sure also use the dipstick occasionaly.

Some cars use oil, and some dont, depends on how they are driven, how they were run in, and is peculiar to certain cars.

Nothing to worry about with your oil consumption William,

Stevo,

Mine are not opinions, however experience with several 911's and regular contact and advice from various OPC's and Indie's.

If I ever state an opinion I will make it clear.

How one can have an opinion on how to use a dipstick and gauge are beyond me, you either do or you dont, simple.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67633

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by william howarth on 26 July 2006

Dont have a dipstick in the 997 so have to rely on the gague.My car seems to use a litre of mobil 1 every 2-3000 miles which seems a lot to me,does consumption decrease once the car has done a few miles and the components have 'bedded in' ??
I think you will find that this is within tolerances, the manual will almost certainly say something about 1L for every 1500 miles.

Although not relevent to the 997, my 3.2 manual says this as does a friends Toyota Avensis manual. Some cars will use this much and others won't use any at all.

One would assume that as a car ages its consumption will change. My 1987 2.3 uses gets topped up after a service and once in the middle of the year, so uses less than the stated amount, yet my more modern Mondeo now needs topping up every couple of thousand miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67634

Okay, thanks for all the replies.

I am not worried, the car is not using excessive oil and I will live with the differences in the electronic reading!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67650

my two pence worth....i have a 996C4S and with regards to the car being on a flat surface when you start the car from cold, this has a H U G E differene.

I have found that the slightest of camber can have, what appears to be, a disproportionate effect on the electronic level gauge.

I think flat really does mean flat...hope that helps

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67656

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back