Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 for under 18,000 !

Speed Freak, I fear you're right. I'm banking on losing c. £5k (maybe more) within two years. However, if it fell to half it's value now I'd be pretty gutted.

Having said that, you're right - as long as I get the one I want (silver or black, black or metropole interior, decentish miles, FPSH, well cared for) then I can live with the depreciation.

Still can't believe they can fall as far as people are suggesting though - there must be a lower bound, or at least a price at which the fall beyond is slow.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65504

I was assuming I would lose £5K per year for the first 3 years. I think it will be a while before you see them at £15K though, unless they are damaged.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65507

Fingers crossed you're right SP - for all our sakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65509

Chris,

do you really not think that in 2009, that we wont see 1998 996's for as little as £12,000.

Its not just 996's,

You can now pick up a 2001 M3 BMW with a bit of milage for as little as £15k!!

Cars seem to be depreciating like never before, welcome to the world of oversupply and the never never paying for it.

It has to pass down somewhere

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65510

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 05 July 2006Chris,
do you really not think that in 2009, that we wont see 1998 996's for as little as £12,000.
Its not just 996's,
You can now pick up a 2001 M3 BMW with a bit of milage for as little as £15k!!
Cars seem to be depreciating like never before, welcome to the world of oversupply and the never never paying for it.
It has to pass down somewhere
Spot on Daz, when I got rid of my CLK last year for the Porsche, the amount it was worth was a joke for how much car it was. I almost decided to keep the thing it was worth so little. Somebody got a great buy.

At the end of the day I can afford to keep the Lotus because it is virtually depreciation proof. Hopefully the GT3 will be in the same mould eventually.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65514

I'm afraid Daz is right, 996-on 911s are no longer the sought after exotica that older 911s used to enjoy. Mostly due to over supply, also relatively cheaper in the first place.

A £60k 993 10 yrs ago is equivelant to @£100k today. So a £60k 996 now would be in the league of say, a 968 10 yrs ago.

With 993 and 3.2s, limited decreasing supply and increasing demand will cause the price to bottom out at around the current value, and may even start to rise when the supply dry out and enthusiasts keeping the cars for longer. In fact due to the hype of mags articles singing the praises of the 3.2 in the last few yrs, the value of a good 3.2 has risen past the later better 964.

In time, when you can't find a decent 993 for less than silly money, even the tatty ones are worth buying for restoration.

996 however, had been built to such an excess that in market terms it's no more than a prestige sports car, in the same field as BMWs and Merc, and therefore depreciate just the same with no prospect of bottmming out.

So buy a 996 for what it is as it's such a great car, and not for what it's worth in a few yrs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65519

And this is why my next 911 will be an RS of some description, hopefully the 993

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65523

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 05 July 2006

With 993 and 3.2s, limited decreasing supply and increasing demand will cause the price to bottom out at around the current value, and may even start to rise when the supply dry out and enthusiasts keeping the cars for longer. In fact due to the hype of mags articles singing the praises of the 3.2 in the last few yrs, the value of a good 3.2 has risen past the later better 964.
<whistle>

hey reading this thread, I'll be able to afford a 996 rather than a Boxster.... lol

anyone got an early car in white, with Blue leather they want to sell :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65524

Sounds like I'd better factor in 4k a year depreciation as well then!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65527

Or you can get yourself a nice 993, which is a fab car, and will lose less, eg an 80k 993 1994 circa £20k will be worth £17k two years after purchase with 100k on the clock

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65529

True. But I'm a vain b*stard and I prefer the looks of the 996. Call me a heretic, but that's the way I call it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65531

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by masopa on 05 July 2006
True. But I'm a vain b*stard and I prefer the looks of the 996. Call me a heretic, but that's the way I call it.

You deserve all you get then :wink: :D :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65534

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by masopa on 05 July 2006

You can't be a vain bastard AND prefer the looks of a 996! :wink: :p :D :D :D :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65536

Fair comment, one mans bread is another mans poison.

Me I have had a few 911's and I am right off the 996/997 at the moment because they just dont feel special any more.

When I had my first 996 about 5 years ago, it was a diffrent story, managed to run a 98 996 for a year and add 20k miles and only lose £1000.

No such luck these days I am afraid

I am becoming increasingly desparate for a nice 964/993 RS, possibly a 993tt or a keenly priced GT3 in yellow (I know sad)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65538

If I was going to buy a car with the main objective of minimising depreciation, I think I'd be better off hailing black cabs everywhere I went...

Relative to other new cars costing 20k (eg new Golf GTI), how much would you lose over the first 3 years compared to a used 996 at 20k?

Golf GTI = £10k?
996 = 16k?

And the million dollar question: over 3 years of ownership, which car would you rather have the pleasure of driving? A Golf or a 911? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65540

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back