Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Failure warning - opinions?

F1_Dragon

Hi All,

fairly long drive back home yesterday and i noticed on the motorway the oil pressure was hovering around 5 even though i was only at about 3k revs in 6th.

Got close to home when i got a Oil Failure warning flash up and the pressure dropped to 0. It went back up and then hovered around 2/3 as normal.

Anybody got any ideas on what could be wrong, should i expect a big bill? :(

TIA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64729

Oil pressure sensor or electrical gremlin?

Check level with dipstick.

Get an independant to read the OBD data.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64733

Thats exactly what happened to mine - on the drive home after I had bought it!!!!!. OK mines a 3.2 but maybe you can take some comfort.

It was the sensors, if I recall there were two of them?? £90.

Gaz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64762

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 28 June 2006

Check level with dipstick.
yes, that part is the no brainer :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64782

No brainer, but a Porker mag I read recently, devoted half a page to checking 911 oil levels......life was much easier when we only had a car with an oil level dipstick. But I think they have gone the same way as those nice garages where the attendant used to check your oil level and top it up from a Castrol hand pump and one pint measure.

Most filling stations now don't even have paper towel dispensers so that you can do the job yourself.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64862

Sorry,not a techie.....but possible Oil pump problem? Oil level may be fine but pump

may be mis- behaving? Good mate of mine recently had an engine "blow" coz of

that very reason...he kept checking and filling the oil when the light was coming on...

but it was the oil pump........BANG....piston hanging out the back.

Good luck.

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 64903

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like it was the sensor, I've had the Oil Pressure switch changed under warranty at Hatfield OPC.

BIG THANKS to Sid for the information and advice and actually doing the work at Hatfield so i know my car is in good hands :lol: 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66070

Glad its all sorted now. Wish I had a Sid at Solihull!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66074

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back