Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Air Con

James Beverley

Hi All,
I had the air con turned on for the first time on my 1999 996 C4 and was disapointed that even on it's lowest setting it wasn't particularly cold. In fact it was quite warm! Most air con systems usually freeze you to death after 10 mins of being flat out!
Does anyone have any idea's or is that it?
Regards,
James.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62519

Sounds faulty James. 996 aircon gets pretty cold flat out.

Don't know much about the technicalities, but perhaps a regassing required?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62520

I never bother turning mine off (I keep it at a year round 20 C) You always need to run them for about half an hour, say once a week, even in winter to stop the seals drying out. Sounds like you might have lost your gas.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62521

Mine gets cold ...BUT..if you dont run it all the time the seals will dry out, perish and then leak(they self lubricate when the refridgerent is pumped round). It should be run at least 20 mins a week. Personally mine has never been switched off-not in this car or the BM and I have never had a problem.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62522

possibly a silly question, however I will ask it none the less,

I run my air con, at least once a week etc, and it is ice cold great so far, however the noise from the compressor drives me potty, does this bother anyone else?

And before you ask it isnt faulty, the other 2 911's were just as noisy.

And finally, does continual use actually use any gas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62528

Mine has no noise I have noticed...I will probably notice it now!!

I dont think continual use means any use of gas. My BM was on for 3 years solid and 120K miles and it worked as good as the day I got it. And this one is fine and never been re-gassed (I know the previous owner well) Thats the secret-NEVER switch it off!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62530

Can't say that the noise really bothers me. I have mine on all the time too - I thought you were supposed to?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62531

Have to admit I have been very bad about putting on my air, just left the heater to do its job in the winter.........fortunately I put it on today (with the roof) down and it was freezing, so hopefully no lasting damage and hopefully you guys'll remind from time to time to put it on!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62595

Keeping the AC on also seems to help demist in wet weather. Don't know why or if it's just my imagination, but I always keep AC on in any car...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62596

Using the A/C dehumidifies the air passing through the evaporator within the unit. As the air is cooled, the water vapour condenses to form droplets which pass through the drain and onto the road, hence its effectivness in demisting the windscreen.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62696

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back