Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to check the oil of a 996

Lee Bollom

Monza
Hello, this is a daft question but could someone run through the procedure of checking oil on a 996.

I just want to check that I'm doing it right (haven't got an owners manual in english yet)

also, is the oil level gauge on the dash to be trusted? you know, the one that shows up just before you start the car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61604

Lee. Run it up to temperature, then let it stand for a few minutes to let the oil drain back down. Then use the dip stick in the same way as you always would - remove, wipe, replace then check.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61606

Do you have to leave the engine running as with the environmentally cooled engines?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61636

Not any more. That caught me out the first time I checked.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61641

cool, that means my oil is fine.

thanks

Lee

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62324

Lee, has it really taken you six days to check the oil! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62329

well, time spent was as follows:-

thinking time - 1 day (had to get it right)

posting the query on the forum - 0.5 days

open the rear lid - 2 days

find the 710 cap and dip stick - 1.5 days

check the oil - 0.5 days

close the engine lid - 0.5 days ( efficiency improved compare to trying to open the rear lid)

as you can see, its been a busy week.

I thought I did quite well, the OPC quoted me 168 hours to check my oil, i managed it in 144!! beat that!! saved my self £17,640 in labour too, cheeky buggers charging £105 an hour.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62337

Lee, the other way is to put a measuring jug under the join between the gearbox and the engine and measure how much your RMS is letting through. Just put the same amount back in :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62347

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lee Bollom on 05 June 2006

well, time spent was as follows:-

thinking time - 1 day (had to get it right)

posting the query on the forum - 0.5 days

open the rear lid - 2 days

find the 710 cap and dip stick - 1.5 days

check the oil - 0.5 days

close the engine lid - 0.5 days ( efficiency improved compare to trying to open the rear lid)

as you can see, its been a busy week.

I thought I did quite well, the OPC quoted me 168 hours to check my oil, i managed it in 144!! beat that!! saved my self £17,640 in labour too, cheeky buggers charging £105 an hour.
Brilliant! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62350

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 05 June 2006

Lee, the other way is to put a measuring jug under the join between the gearbox and the engine and measure how much your RMS is letting through. Just put the same amount back in :p

you're not telling me the RMS leaks are you!!!

I had no idea :eek:

8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 62508

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back