Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Conversion LHD - RHD

Philip H

Hi,

I have recently inherited a 2000 996 and love it to bits! My only problem is that it's a left hooker. I am finding it quite difficult to drive in London with it so am thinking of getting it coverted to a RHD. I have done this before on a couple of classic cars (mainly US models) but dont know if this will work for a 996. So does anyone know:

• is it possible to convert a 996 from LHD to RHD?
  • if so where would i go and how much would it cost?
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59012

Too expensive and difficult to do, will devalue the car rather than enhance its value.

I would either sell it and buy RHD or put up with LHD if you love it that much.

LHD in a city is a bonus a. when you park you get out onto the kerb and B. when your chugging along in traffic your right next to the kerb to hear all those admiring comments.

911 & PW covered this type of project in a back issue.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59018

sell it on and buy a RHD...............LHD seemingly quite easy to sell on so they say on here

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59019

Unlike the prev 911s, 996 onward they are designed with RHD in mind, so conversion is easier and better compared to air-cooled models. However as the others said, it will de-value the car, and make it quite difficult to sell on. Far better to sell it and spend the money buying a RHD, unless of course if it had an accident and needs a lot of work done to it anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59020

Thanks guys - but what is the real cost. I have already put so much time and effort into this car that I would hate to sell it on so easily!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59617

could cost anywhere from £5k to £9k depending on how you do it.....

maybe a google serach may reveal potential services, but IMHO you would be silly to undersake such a conversion as the car would not gain any value

Migration info. Legacy thread was 59621

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back