Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice please!

Kevin H

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice please. I have been fortunate enough to come into some money and am going to buy a 911. I am looking to spend between 27 to 30k. I would like a C4 (not cab) with as many extras as poss. What age/mileage/condition/spec should I expect for this money? What is the typical depreciation over a year? Service stages/costs? Should I get a
warranty?

Any sort of advice would be appretiated!

Cheers – Kevin
J

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57594

depends what generation of 911 C4 you want

your budget gets you a choice of 3 tbh

964.(89-93)..........the first 4WD 911's(bar the 959).............£20k+ gets you into the best of these....they have a reputation for expensive things going wrong but most should be sorted by now.....you'll have plenty cash left to deal with any major probs

993.(93-98)........last of the air-cooled..........considered the most iconic 911 yet..........well by most of us 993 owners :wink:
..........most refined and easiest to drive hard out of the air-cooled ones due to advanced suspension..........also looks near identical to the current 997 variant....well ok from a bit away.....your budget gets you into into good below average miles ones even a high mile C4S which has 993 TT body/running gear.....sadly normally aspirated

996 3.4 (98-01).....first of the water cooled ones,a few issues with the longevity of the engines coming to light of late,modern interior compared to the others tho not as well wearing due to cheaper materials being used.....993 and 996 prices overlap a lot too,mainly down to the 996 not being as sought after as the 993 partly due to there being more 996's sold

I was in a similar postion to yourself in that i had inherited some money and I was originally going to go down the new Boxster S or Cayman S route,til a friend with a 996 C4S asked me would i not rather open the garage and see a 911 sitting there or one of the mid-engined cars........naturally it swayed me towards the 911(993 in my case) route even tho its an older car and will cost more to maintain,it was cheaper to buy and should depreaciate a lot less than buying a new Boxster S or Cayman S......plus of course whether its a 964/993 or 996 C4 your driving a motoring icon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57601

kevin

you need to decide a 993 or 996

and of your TOTAL budget, keep about back at least £1.5k for any unforseen maintenance within the 1st 6 months

a 993 will be on average about 9 years old and a 996 a few years less, but the most difficuly aspect of buying such a car is tyo buy on condition, as it goes against all the mileage theories that we know, i.e. worth paying extra for a good one

spec wise, there were less fancy options on the 993, although the C4 993 has ABD (Brake assist) but no traction control..... but there are many mk1 996's around so worth hunting one out with a good spec, but what kind of options do you want ?

have a check of all the car dealers up north, but as their competition is more limited their prices can be higher

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57668

Re costs, if you buy properly (clutch and suspension already been replaced) your costs should not come out at much over £600/annum.

If you live down in London costs are much higher than in the North West, plus some of the best indies are close by such as Ninemeister, Hartech & damn can't remember the other one I was about to tell you about :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57716

There is a nice silver 993 on ebay at the moment with black leather air and a sunroof for a buy it now price of £18500

Fab looking car, looks as if it has a solid history and if so, even with a big milage looks a good buy.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57720

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back