Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Warranty problems

imported_Paul Baird

Im wondering what can be done here - Im not too impressed with Porsche. Here is the story -

I recently bought a new(ish) 5 years 911 996 Cab. I bought it from a local dealer but before I bought it I asked for the 111 point check on the car and I asked for it under the porsche warranty.

The car passes the check - did pick the usual engine leak problem so I pad for the work to be done on the car and then paid my 750£ for the extended manufacturer warranty

Everything fine - One month later I put the roof down and the locking mechanism catches the roof and makes a hole - I go over to porsche in Reading dealership and say whats the problem with this -

The roof guy within seconds says - Ah - Its because you dont have the plastic cover thats part of the lock mechanism - Its broken off and thats why the roof is snagged you were just lucky so far that the fabrix didnt fold into it.

But they claim that the plastic cover isnt under warranty - Although they also claim that they do the 111 ceck the roof passes because that cover isnt part of the check. Well blow me what the cover designed for - Its not looks its part of the catch - They should have seen it after all the roof mechanism is part of the check . That parts missing so it should not pass the check .. They say they just check the electrics.

I say they should have picked it up The £11 part will now cost me £2K to get a new roof - The part after all isnt there for looks and is part of the mechanism and should be sorted.

Whats the point of paying £750 for a warranty that they pick and chose whats warrantied.

Thoughts -- anyone . - Anyone know the working of the 111 point check ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56971

sorry to hear about your trouble,

It would seem that this is all too common at the moment,

I am currentley having problems with them re my radiators.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56980

Very sorry to hear this.

Did you actually buy from an OPC or did the seller arrange for the Porsche check and warranty?

I would insist on having a copy of the 111 checklist so you can see what is on it and go from there.

If you have had it less than 6 months the Sale of Goods Act may help here as if sold like this it is clearly a fault that has caused consequential damage that as a new owner you would not expect to see in such an expensive purchase.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56983

Porsche and warranties are a bleeding nightmare. Commiserations.

Try to reason with them. Then try Porsche GB, then maybe Porsche AG.

But maybe the first action, though, should just be the small claims court: a) the courts are generally sympathetic to the consumer, and b) firms have to employ lawyers to represent them, which costs money, which means they might as well settle in the consumer's favour.

Hope you beat the b*****ds.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56984

sorry to hear of your woes Paul.

I have just purchased my car (about two months ago now) and had the check done, after subsequent servicing and checking the check over myself have found Porsch to be completely crap when it comes to the older porsches (old as in more than 3 years old). And for that reason decided against taking out the warranty.

I would stick to your guns and demand they fix it, maybe try taking the car to another OPC (its a national warranty I think) to see what they say. Mite be a different story.

From the sounds of things on the forum some OPCs are literally warrantying every thing (which is great) and some are only covering the major stuff.

just my 2p.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57055

postamble();
Paul,

Only bought the car a month ago and this has happened? I would not for one moment allow them to get away with this. If they won't fix it FOC then demand they take the car back and you'll have a full refund thankyou very much. Don't get fobbed off and if possible go to the dealership in person. Once there, make it quite clear that you're not going to just accept the first answer and quietly leave. Get the manager down if you have to and try and create a scene-if they've got lots of potential customers there, even better!

Jesus!! I can't believe how OPC's seem to be behaving towards customers these days...we really can't let these sh*ts get away with this now.....a blown 996 engine on a car thats out of the dealer network is one thing bad enough, but if they're now going to sell cars for 40-50k and then effectively tell the customer to f*ck off as soon as anything goes wrong!!!

Paul, YOU MUST STICK TO YOUR GUNS ON THIS! Tell them you will take out a small claims court action if they don't fix it....this procedure is easy to do (you can even start it on-line-here's the link:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Do it mate...don't let them get away with it....I'm sure that like most people on this forum, I'm getting sick of hearing of the arrogent way in which Porsche GB fob off customers....I'm staying with mine for the moment because I love the car, but if anything happens to me like the porrous engine issue, I wouldn't buy another Porsche on principle...

Good luck and keep the forum updated.

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57267

The general concensus is to take them to court - Im putting it all in writing ang giving them 28days to be reasonable - After that I will go to small claims court.

Just to be clear the car came from a local dealer - I took to to Porsche to get it checked before I bought it and then paid porsche directly for both the check and their warranty .. They happily took the money - But now because there is a problem seem to pick an chose whats on warranty .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57273

Paul, Could you take a picture of the part of the hood mechanism where the part was missing please.

I looked on mine and can't seem to find any plastic bits. I am intrigued to know if I am looking in the right place.

Sorry you are having so many problems with your OPC. :(

Cheers,

Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57345

Let me add to the details for you - Dont have time to take a picture of this at the moment.

If you have a 911 (996) with a glass rear window - No issue .. However if its a plastic one read on

When the roof retracts - ie goes down - The fabric folds up . it happens like this .

1. The rear cover lifts.

2. The plastic sides come up at the same time as the roof comes down

3. The fabric folds down -

There is a plastic spring loaded shield that covers the mechanical locking mechanism for the cover at the rear. This pushes the fabric out of the way and keeps it clear of the lock - If its not there then the fabric has a chance of being caught by the rear cover locking mechanism as it comes down ane being damaged.

If the cover isnt there then the lock still works -

So its on 911 (996) with a plastic rear window.. The part costs about £11.00

Does that answer your question ?.. I will take a picture when Im back with the car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57681

Thanks Paul - I do have the plastic rear screen so it is of interest. I will have a llok at the hood mechanism (when it stops raining) and see if I can see the shield you are refering to.

But as they say "a picture tells a thousand words" so would still love one.

Cheers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57693

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back