Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Advice needed

Toady

I'm new here! Been reading the posts for a while - what a great forum!

Was just off to my local OPC today to try out a 996 C4S. Half an hour reading the thread on engine failures, and I'm really worried...then guess what - the dealers just called, and the car I was going to test drive has developed a "fault"...?

I was looking for a low mileage 2 year old car, and was going to spend c£50k c12-20k miles, but this now seems crazy if the 996 is a garage "timebomb" waiting to happen

A couple of questions I could use advice on -

1) Are there such things as 996s that don't suffer from seal/engine problems? What proportion are trouble free? - are we just hearing about a small/low percentage here?

2) Are later 996's any better than earlier ones from a risk perspective? Were there any fixes?

3) I could buy a 997, but it would be a low spec C2...I'd always wanted a C4S, but not sure any more.

4) What questions/evidence should I ask an OPC to understand the risk profile of a car I'm looking at?

Any help, moral guidence and therepy very much appreciated!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56259

from what ive read in mags and forums

1)3.4's are meant to be the most troublesome.........regarding block problems......but tbh £50k budget will have you in the 2001> 3.6 anyway

2) afaik the 3.6 has a stronger block,tho seemingly there's always the rms issue

3)buy the 997 low spec...........unless you need 4wd.......IMO the 997 will always have the better residual value

4)ask for service records and any warranty records

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56261

Hi Toady. Unfortunately, all of the water cooled ones potentially have the problem except for the GT3, GT2 (Widow Maker) and the Turbo because their block is a different design and more "hand built".

To answer the questions:

1. No there aren't really, but you could be lucky. The %age of failures is very high.

2. Supposedly the 3.6 is more reliable than the 3.4 but 2 of us have had RMS failures this week on 3 year old 3.6s both at 20,000 miles.

3. 997 potentially has the same problems.

4. All you can do is get them to check if any of he problems have been rectified on the car you are looking at.

If you are buying from an OPC, you will at least get a 12 month warranty which is renewable each year for a premium of £725.

Paperwork with the car won't necessarily provide evidence. The only way I can prove mine was done is because I had the clutch replaced without a labour cost because PGB footed the bill for the seals as a good will gesture. So, the clutch is on the invoice but there is no mention of the RMS or Intermediate Shaft Seal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56263

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 29 April 2006

3)buy the 997 low spec...........unless you need 4wd.......IMO the 997 will always have the better residual value
But there will be a bigger initial depreciation. First couple of years they all drop like a stone and then slow down

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56264

In my experience 3.6's suffer just as bad as 3.4's

The best advice as allways is OPC 111 point check and Porsche warranty and renew for as long as you can

and you dont have to buy from an OPc to get the warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56266

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 29 April 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 29 April 2006

But there will be a bigger initial depreciation. First couple of years they all drop like a stone and then slow down

i meant if he spends £50k on a 996 C4S IMHO its gonna depreaciate more than a £50k 997 :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56268

i dunno but as he says he's got a budget of £50k then part 3 of his first post says he could go for a low spec 997 C2 with no mention of increasing his budget..........maybe i'm adding 1+1 and getting 3 :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56271

tho the OPC at Sutton Coldfield does have a 997 tip for £54k............... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56274

Get a GT3 :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56275

I dont think 996 issues are that bad.Internet forums by their very nature will have more people complaining of problems than saying they have not had any any issues. I know there are faults around but dont let it stop you getting one. As said above get one form an OPC and keepthe warranty up. Remember-there are 10s of thousands of these cars around all of which are fine and have had no problems. Or at least no more that any other car! Just my 2p.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56276

Thanks all - really helpful to hear your thoughts. If I buy the OPC warranty each year (for 9 years) am I 100% safe on an engine failure then?

I havent looked too hard at 997 prices, but guessed this was c£60k territory - I'm happier at £50k (happier still at £30k, but its not going to happen!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56282

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toady on 29 April 2006

Thanks all - really helpful to hear your thoughts. If I buy the OPC warranty each year (for 9 years) am I 100% safe on an engine failure then?
As long as you don't break it by over-revving, then yes. Any abuse may invalidate your Insurance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56290

One other quick and perhaps dumb question- is PSM (stability managment an option or a standard item on a C4S - I don't see it noted in many OPC lists of extras on their stock? Thanks if someone can put me on the straight and narrow...or should that curvy and fat?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56397

Ahh, on the subject of dumb questions just to make sure I'm comparing like for like are the following standard on this model -

PSM

Electric/memory seats

Cruise control

As you can see, I've been driving a Merc far too long, but am keen to compare cars as evenly as possible from a spec point of view...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 56398

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back