Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Engine Problems

nickd01

As I'm contemplating my first Porsche purchase, the number of people reporting blown engines and £15k bills to replace them is starting to worry me.

As I'd be at the "S" and "R" reg end of 996 ownership due to budget, am I going to be faced with huge bills in the future? I know that you can't say for definate, but are my risks higher?

I was also considering a 993 C2, would this be a more reliable bet?

Thanks

Nick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55324

If you get the Porsche warranty, you will certainly be covered as far as RMS and engine problems are concerned, so I wouldn't worry about those.

However, the 996 does seem to be quite an expensive maintenance proposition if recent post are anything to go by.

I still wouldn't entertain the idea of swapping mine for a 993 though :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55331

There do seem to be more engine problems with the earlier cars (1998-99) but is seems that all are susceptible. And as Jay says people in newer cars are facing higher bills as well.

Also the older 996's will be out of warranty soon as 9 years is as old as Porsche will go.

If you aren't planning to drive every day then a 993 might be a better option (if you can live without the 996 looks! :twisted:
I know I couldn't).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55336

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.

Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55354

Different strokes for different folks etc.

IMO The last "proper" 911 shape was the 964. Probably not the most popular view on this board, but anything later than that to me is externally sanitised in comparison.

I figured, if I was going to buy a 911 with "watered down" looks I might as well go for one with a comfy cabin and A/C that works :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55356

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nickd01 on 25 April 2006

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!
I was only playing about the looks - the consensus is that the 993 looks better and the two drive differently.

It horses for courses!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55360

Previous poster said:

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.Although, if I get to drive one I may change my mind!
This rather depends on what you currently drive/are used to. The air cooled ones do lack some of the creature comforts many people take for granted - but oh that noise :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55432

Previous poster said:

Without wishing to upset people (!) I think I actually prefer the 993 looks. I think the 996 is getting a little too modern for me.
Ditto from me! Even 996TT's look tame compared to narrowbody 993's IMHO. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55455

why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it
I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55489

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006

why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????
Anyone will buy anything if the price is right and all these problems have contributed to the relatively low prices that 996s are fetching - this is why some of us can afford to buy them in the first place!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55492

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 26 April 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006why buy a porsche that is now known to be the worst ever made buy a 993 or something older nobody wants the 996 try and sell one to a porsche dealer that is out of warranty they wont want to buy it [/i:NAjyqmp7e4]
I still cant understand why the motoring press never mention the 996 problems they mention every other make that has problems but not porsche backhanders bribes ????????????
Anyone will buy anything if the price is right and all these problems have contributed to the relatively low prices that 996s are fetching - this is why some of us can afford to buy them in the first place!

yes but surely you dont want to buy a car that can go bang just ticking over in traffic just because its cheap there is a serious fault with the production on this engine porsche have always made good cars does the 997 suffer from the same problems as the 996 ??????the rear main seal is not really a big problem as lots of cars have these problems with seals

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55582

RMS is not the major problem it is the liners cracking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55586

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ferrari's rule on 26 April 2006

yes but surely you dont want to buy a car that can go bang just ticking over in traffic just because its cheap there is a serious fault with the production on this engine porsche have always made good cars does the 997 suffer from the same problems as the 996 ??????the rear main seal is not really a big problem as lots of cars have these problems with seals
Honestly - if you want me to understand what you are saying you are going to have to use some punctuation. You Ferrari people! :wink:

The fault only effects some people (does that count as serious) - so yes price does come in to it. It is a risk you take when buying a 996, whether you get good car or bad car. People are willing to accept the risk if the price tag is less in the first place

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55592

But the real difference between a Porsch and a Ferrari is thet when you trn the key in a Porsche, you know you are going to hear the sound of igniting petrol, not just hope you will :p
(Unless, that is, you make Tara feel unloved :wink: )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55656

Meaning no disrespect to Ferrari drivers, I heard this from my mechanic.

Also the difference between a Porsche and a Ferrari, when you thrash a Ferrari you should really look in the rear view mirror to see whats fallen off the car.

Sorry Lads! could'nt resist.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55836

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back