Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RMS

Intermediate shaft sits below the crankshaft in a boxer engine and could probably be better understood if it was called a balancer shaft. Autofarm now produce an intermediate shaft with modified splines to take a custom made lip seal & toothed sprocket so that the latest type cam chain and tensioner can be used. Its claimed that the engine also runs a lot quiter then.

List price for the modified intermediate shaft is £881.33. Exchange short engine starts at £4406.25. Might be worth giving them a ring on 01865 331234.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55749

Thanks Hog. I wonder why Porsche hadn't come up with the answer! But then they'll have to admit to the problem first!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55754

LOL :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55762

Hog,

Did I read that right, pimp, pig farmer :D

When you work yourself up to sheep give me a shout.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55792

Yeh, but what do a Welsh Sheep Farmers call a field full of sheep? An Entertainment Center!

Bring 'em long haired 'girls' on down for that there holiday week-end [for some].......Uz be plaised to zee ee.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55798

Hi There,

I did read back a while ago that 'accute/regular' RMS failure was possibly due to the crankshaft not being concentric with the bearing/seal assembly. I understand that they should measure this out of tolerance and if it exceeds their manufacturing limits a replacement engine is fitted FOC.

It may be worth searching Rennlist forums for this as it is a known TSB, good luck!

DB

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55824

My experience seems to be that about 1 in 3 cars i buy needs an RMS,

and bearing in mind i rarely buy a car over 20,000 miles,

i find if its gone once and it'll go again

BUT the techys are telling me that they think the latest seals- the 7th modification appears to have done the trick, the latest seal came out about 12 months ago and they appear to be holding up better.

The problem is costing me a fortune - £600 a car,

I've had a 3,000 mile car with the rms done 18 months ago at 2100 miles, needed doing again,

Ive got an 2003 8500 rms done at 4500 miles 18 months ago, gone again and also the last time it was done they never changed the intermediate shaft seal,

I'm not 100% sure but i have a theory that the intermediate shaft seal is just as if not more of a problem than the RMS.

Another question which i did raise here a couple of months back but generated no debate was

Ive just had 3 993's which needed the rms done? but ive not seen any discussion re 993 RMS's

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55849

The 993 RMS leak is purely down to age and not bad design. The RMS problem that the 996 suffers from is a totally different situation altogether and that is probably why there was no debate. As you said yourself, 996s that have done little mileage suffer from RMS failure against cars that are now pushing 10 - 12 years old.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55854

I just knew William would step up to the plate there! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55855

Simlar to the 993 you get the odd RMS on 996 GT3, Turbo etc being due to age. As the engines are related this makes sense.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55874

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by mark pearce on 27 April 2006

My experience seems to be that about 1 in 3 cars i buy needs an RMS,
Mark, I have heard in other threads that Tiptronics don't suffer from RMS as much, something about the gearbox, is that true in your opinion/experience?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55954

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back