Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Short Shift Lever

Mark911

Nurburgring
Has anyone fitted a short shift gear lever to a 996?

Your comments please on how difficult they are to fit, is the Tequipment version the one to go for and are they too much like hard work when the box is cold?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54825

well worth fitting, although the 996 change ain't as long as the 993 !

as for cold running, the gearbox heats up quickly enough so they're fine

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54826

I have found out that you have to damage the original bushes to fit a short shifter so it would not be easy to revert back if I'm not happy.

Therefore I need some reasurance from you guys that its the right thing to do.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54964

Hi,

Having fitted 5 short shifts to various 996's and have used them on two of my cars I feel I have something relevant to comment.

The Plus's

Very precise and short movement

When mastered feels great

Nice metallic clunk on gear selection - like the older Ferrari's

Doesn’t feel like you are stirring custard

The Neg's

Very notchy when cold and takes longer than just the g/box oil heating up to operating temp - approx 20mins

You have to concentrate, be more aware when changing gear, the action has to be very controlled

Fitting is total commitment, no going back once you break the cheap retaining bushes

Having to remove all of the centre consol and refit

I have got the total fitting down to just under an hour. First fit allow over 2 hours.

Would I go back to a sloppy leaver….No!

Hope this is of help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54966

Mark, I recall recently reading (somewhere) that the weakness is a plastic linkage somewhere and that there was now someone making a replacement out of billet aluminium.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54968

Peter. Which ones have you fitted and what was the %age reduction in shift. Also, have you got any experience/views on strut braces for the 996?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54969

Hi

I have installed B&M, Genuine Porsche (B&M) and Schnett. They are all pretty much the same. CNC alloy body with brass rods, alloy bushes and chomed steel leaver. The reduction in movement is approx 23/30%. It feels alot less when working it!!

Regarding the 996/Boxster front strut brace, the latter day manufacturing process of producing rigid shells including non flexing suspension carriers Porsche have got it down to a tee.

Do you need one...no. Unless you want to post really quick lap times around Tesco's car park. Even on hard driven track days you would be pushed to confirm the difference with or without one.

Saying all this, I do have a particularly nice Carbon Fibre one straddling the turret's of my GT3.

However if we are to bring the 993 and the 964 into the equation, this is a very different story. Both these shells are not as rigid and the metal will have softened with age. By fitting a brace even on a standard setup driving on normal b roads you will find the difference unbelievable. The turn in becomes so much quicker, precise giving more feedback

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54971

Thanks Peter. I was just wondering about the brace because I have a favourite off-camber, uphill, left hander on a B road, where it always ***** a wheel - which I had put down to flex in the chassis. Perhaps I should just slow down a bit :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54972

Peter, thanks for the reply.

I have just removed the gaitor and had a look at the bushes. It looks like they may be able to be removed by clamping a jubilee clip or even a tie-wrap around the retaining clips then pushing back through (same principle as fitting piston rings)

Have you ever tried a non-destructive method of removing these?

Would it also favour fitting the factory short shift not to invalidate the warranty?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 54998

Hi Mark,

Yes I have, but got board trying. Regarding the warranty I don't think that many Porsche techies would know the difference. But it's an interesting point.

Porsche source these quick shifts from B&M, the only difference is a Porsche part number, box and price tag!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55028

I have found out that the 997 Short Shifter with a 20% less throw will fit a 996, and the good thing is that it comes complete with the housing so it can be removed if I'm not happy with the change. The reduction is not as much as the B&M but a cold gearbox should be easier to use.

Part No. 997 424 983 00 - £237+vat (including setting tool)

I am told that this part is to supersede the Porsche 996 B&M clone as stock runs out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 55548

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back