Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 porous engine

Alison,

The more I hear the more I consider that information relating to this matter should reach more members of the public. I was not aware of any problem until I encountered one and I feel sure that there are a number of other current and potential victims out there.

This is a strange enquiry on a Porsche site but do you know anyone who owns one of the later DB7's. A good late one appears to be about the same price as a late 996, I wonder what they are like in terms of drive, reliability etc.

I may end up writing to Porsche and thanking them for pointing me in the direction of a better car.

T.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57207

Alison,

Just to let you know that I have had the response from Porsche. They are not willing to provide any individual assistance for a whole host of reasons which I feel you will be more than familiar with. They have reported however that having been in contact with the agent that the agent will provide a 15% discount against the cost of a new engine purchased from them.

The new cost would be slightly more than the cost of having the engine rebuilt by Autofarm, having had it upgraded to 3.7ltr. The new engine from the agent would have a warranty for two years and the rebuilt engine one year.

I am going to elect for the Autofarm option.

T.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 57697

anthony

out of interest what was the cost of the rebuild from porsche with/without discount

verses the cost of the autofarm rebuild cost 3.4 & 3.7

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58089

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 09 May 2006

anthony

out of interest what was the cost of the rebuild from porsche with/without discount

regards
Also, what power do you get out of the 3.7 ltr engine?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58106

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 09 May 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 09 May 2006

anthony

regards
Also, what power do you get out of the 3.7 ltr engine?
any weight increase?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58114

Hello Alison, sorry to hear you fell to this infamous problem. A big big thanks goes to this discussion

this forum. Two years ago I backed out of buying a 996 because of the engine problems you described.

Porsche original played hush hush about it and dealers still deny/ are ignorant of the problems. It seems all cars post 2001 carry mods to prevent this. It was all well Documented in the '911 & Porsche' October issue. A very brave and refreshing decision untypical of the usual blind, sychophantic Porsche mags/forums.

Dont get me wrong, I waited 2 years and have just bought a 2002 996 turbo (different engine block) and love the thing. When they do get it right they are unbeatable,however, like all major manufacturers Porsche can mess up big style and when they do just watch them run!

On the positive side, the '911 & Porsche' magazine reckon a quality fix for around £7500 all in. Give them a ring it may be less (Autofarm 01865 331234)

Good luck

Al

Migration info. Legacy thread was 58764

New engine from Porsche dealership with labour prior to 15% discount was c. £12,700. With discount is c. £10,700. Autofarm rebuild plus upgrade to 3.7ltr comes in at just under £10,000. Included in this are various other modifications which they deem to improve the engine.

I do not have any details regarding the power output etc of the 3.7ltr engine yet.

T.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60313

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by anthony Ansell on 04 May 2006
Alison,
This is a strange enquiry on a Porsche site but do you know anyone who owns one of the later DB7's. A good late one appears to be about the same price as a late 996, I wonder what they are like in terms of drive, reliability etc.
T.

Steer clear of them. A friend had one, nothing but problems most fixed under warranty though. They are also very mileage sensitive

Migration info. Legacy thread was 60326

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back