Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 porous engine

I would give JZ a call at the very least, as well as some of the other Indes the guys have already mentioned.

Hi,

Can you let me know who and where JZ are?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52893

[url]www.jzmachtech.com[/url]

i believe this is who they are talking about

also called JZM and JZ machtech

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52895

Alison,

Very sad to hear about your headache. I would very very annoyed if that happened to me! Did you buy the car new? I was told in the past that at least here in Tokyo if a car was bought new and the warranty ran out, Porsche WOULD at least in part foot the cost of a replacement. I can find out about engine costs here - its not expensive to ship back to the UK.... Going to meet my OPC today. My car is up for its first year service.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52906

Hi there 'Servo'. I bought the car as an 'Approved Used Car' from an OPC with 26k on the clock. I'm clutching at straws right now, so if the cost of an engine sourced in Tokyo saves me money, then I'll consider it. I have written to the MD of Porsche GB, but based upon feedback from other people, I am not very optimistic about their response. Thanks again for your advice. Cheers, Alison

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52918

Can I suggest the motoring press? Honest John and the like? You can write as many letters to Porsche as you like, but until you are making them feel embarrased in the public view they have nothing to lose. Hope you get it sorted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52919

<Sorry image not available after migration>

We must have a few lawyers on this forum, whats the rules regarding a manufacturing fault that devolops years after the wtty runs out?

I guess you have to prove it, however once you do, surley the flood gates open and it becomes a kind of american tort.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52920

Hi Alison

I visited my OPC today and had a good chat about your car and other issues. Seems like the 3.4 litre engine is the worst culprit - at least in JP.

In a nutshell the price is about the same here -sorry can't help there BUT, the price in the US is a LOT cheaper.

My contact (top bloke) said that he was shocked you were not get any support. He said the process (at least here in JP) is that when a customer brings in a car with a major problem such as yours and there is no warranty, the OPC writes to the national HQ of Porsche. Who then in turn contact PAG - apparently there is a central claims / technical department which intercepts technical problems / recalls / product failure in PAG.

They decide if you should get any support or not. If you bought the car new - the chances are higher. If not, they would be more generous to an OPC approved secondhand car.

What my contact said that was very interesting was that you can write to PAG directly (get the details from PCGB) and put in a letter about your problem. The chances of getting a new engine for free are the same as getting a free car from Porsche - no chance! BUT, you can bargain, my contact said that sometimes, Porsche go 50/50 with the customer on the cost, or they give you the parts for 50% off and you pay the OPC's hourly rate for the labour. Or they give you the engine and you pay for the install. He said that he would strongly recommend that you tell Porsche that you are prepared to go half way (if you have no warranty) and get a quick result.

Let us know how you go.

Servo

PS Its sad when this sort of thing happens but there is no bullet proof car in the world.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52930

Servo,

You star. Thanks so much for the 'intel'. I will certainly give PAG a try as you suggest, and let you [all] know how I fair.

You're right, there's no such thing as a completely bullet proof car, but I thought that a Porsche was as close as you got, and expected to get more than 70k (respectful) miles out of it.

Cheers, Alison

PS. Love your super hero 'icon'.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52931

Don't massage his ego Alison, he's already got a 997. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52936

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 08 April 2006

Don't massage his ego Alison, he's already got a 997. :wink:
LOL - no please massage my ego! Flattery will is most welcome!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52937

Alison

My 2000 C4 engin blowup at 16K miles, same problem. I was lucky my car was 6 months outside warranty PGB fitted a new one only charging for fluids about £400.

Strange but Porsche Club GB serveyed all 996 owners about this problem, I was not able to obtain a copy of their findings.

Have not had any problems with the new unit although I have only done about 3K miles, downside of not using the car was all new discs and pads at 19K expensive motering per mile!

Regards

Andy P Swindon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53033

Hello guys, I thought I'd give you an update. After writing to the MD at Porsche GB and someone at PAG whose name was given to me by someone on the owner's club forum, I was contacted immediately by Porsche GB Customer Assistance. They are now 'investigating the circumsatnces of my concerns'. I have been told that I will receive the results of these investigations tomorrow (Thurs 14th April). I can only hope that Porsche have finally realised that not looking after their customers when their product breaks is actually bad for their reputation?

ANDY - I have also heard that a survey of 996 owners was conducted by PCGB, but haven't been able to track it down. However, I also leant that the PCGB forum is regulated by Porsche GB. Could these factors be related?

Thanks again guys for your support - I'll report back.

Alison

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53386

The PCGB forum is not regulated by Porsche GB. Somebody is feeding you misleading information.

The survey that was done by PCGB was for RMS failure rates not engine failure rates.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53420

Hi Ian,

Someone form the PCGB has already put me right on this one, and explained about the survey...Chinese whispers eh..?

ATB,

Alison

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53422

Hope the result is positive tomorrow Alison.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 53426

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back