Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loud gurgling noise

john adams

Hi Guys

My 964 on start up emits a loud gurgling noise over my right shoulder which I guess is oil returning to the tank. The noise last for a good 10 - 15 mins when the engine is idling but virtually disappears when the engine is warm (and the oil thinner...??)

My 3.2 and 964 prior to that were totally silent in this respect. Is the noise anything to worry about ??

Any other gurglers out there ?

Johnny

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51780

My previous 3.2 1988 gurgled and so does the 993 - worse when not used for a few days and when temperatures are below zero - so I guess thats the answer - cold oil is harder to pump up to the header tank - which is behind your right ear!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51792

Stevo - thanks for that.

But....... why would some cars do it and others not ??

I can't help having a niggling thought that the oil flow is being restricted in some way and damaging the engine. The oil I use is Mobil 1 which is very thin, so I guess there is no change needed there.

Are there any tests I could undertake ? Or am I am worrying about nothing ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52016

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by john adams on 31 March 2006

Hi Guys

My 964 on start up emits a loud gurgling noise over my right shoulder which I guess is oil returning to the tank. The noise last for a good 10 - 15 mins when the engine is idling but virtually disappears when the engine is warm (and the oil thinner...??)

My 3.2 and 964 prior to that were totally silent in this respect. Is the noise anything to worry about ??

Any other gurglers out there ?

Johnny

YES they do ! can vary car to car, mine does it now and again but seems very random !

regards

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52018

My 993 is a gurgler, it does catch me by surprise sometimes and i sit there thinking "what is that strange noise?" Then i remember what it is and smile to myself as i think "ah dry sump, race car heritage. they dont make them like this anymore" , etc,etc,etc...........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52019

Good - sounds like nothing to worry about.

+ as Warren says just another example of why we love 'em. Anyhow, over 4,000 rpm the noise magically disappears and I've then got much better things to think about !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52096

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back